1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get a bunch of Epic Games to work - missing dll files

Discussion in 'Games' started by maristredfox, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maristredfox

maristredfox Thread Starter

Hi all,

A bunch of Epic Games won't launch for me. I get errors about missing dll files - api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll and api-ms-win-crt-string-l1-1-0.dll. I've downloaded every vc_redist file I could find on the Windows site, but these games still won't launch. Most of my games work fine, but not Moonlighter, City of Brass, Dauntless, RiME, and This War of Mine.

My MSi laptop is running Windows 8.1 Pro. I've tried to run Windows Update, but it sits on the "checking for updates" window. I've also tried running chkdsk as an administrator, but when I reboot, the computer just goes to Windows without checking the disk.

My other stats are in the image below.

Any other ideas?? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. maristredfox

maristredfox Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I ran the Windows Update troubleshooter. It said it found problems and fixed them, but when I ran Windows Update after that, it just sat on "checking for updates." I left it running overnight, and no dice. So I proceeded to the next step on the link - renaming software distribution backup folders. I typed the first command into Command Prompt, and it said "access denied." I even ran Command Prompt as Administrator and it said the same thing. Is there something wrong with my permissions preventing me from being the Admin of my own computer??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice