1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get an IP address - IP Driver Error Code 2

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cgrablew, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hemburyr

hemburyr

1. Reboot XP into Safe Mode

2. Delete the following files - c:\windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys & c:\windows\system32\dllcache\tcpip.sys

3. From your original XP CD or i386 folder on local HDD find the following file - tcpip.sy_ and then expand this file to locations above eg expand c:\i386\tcpip.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys

4. When both files have been replaced reboot the PC.

2. hemburyr

hemburyr

Source files = original XP CD

So you would probably need to run something like the following -

< drive letter of CD >:\i386\winnt32 /unattend

3. trevorjmason

trevorjmason

Many hugs 'n' kisses to "hublerb" for alternative options to the M$ way of doing things when refreshing the TCP stack and Winsock.

While this in itself didn't fix my entire problem, I know it didn't do any harm - and I am prepared for next time.

Final set of hugs 'n' kisses to "hemburyr" for the final suggestion that did resolve the last of my issues following a very nasty trojan infection.

Great work guys. Keep up the good work - as I know you will

4. HugoP

HugoP

I could get NO tcp ip - when I typed ipconfig /all I got an error message
    I tried ALL fixes for 3 days straight - reset EVERYTHING, nothing worked, and was just about to reinstall XP and then.......

Finally the answer was so simple I am kicking myself - spyware/virus had replaced the tcpip.sys file with a new file.

Just delete tcpip.sys in system/drivers and the backup file created by the spyware (tcpip.sys.flg in my case)- it will automatically reset this file to the original (2004) file.

SIMPLE!!!!!!!!

Hugo
    :)

5. joeker455

joeker455

I have been working on a similar problem for 2 days now. All of a sudden my computer will not connect to the internet. I have tried several of the things suggested here however I have not yet tried what you did. I know where to find the tcpip.sys file however where do I find the file created by the spyware if there is one?

6. HugoP

HugoP

Hi Joeker
    The spyware tcpip was in the same directory and just had a different file extention tcpip.sys.flg in my case - maybe do a search for anything called tcpip.
    If you delete the proper windows version it should automatically re-create it straight away with the archived windows version, or you could try re-installing the latest service pack.
    Anyway keep an eye on the date of tcpip.sys - if it is a unique date to the rest of the components in the system32/drivers you've probably got a spyware version.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/376765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice