1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get ATI radeon HD 5450 to work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Larenzooo, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Larenzooo

Larenzooo Thread Starter

Well my dilemma is that, I have installed the 5450 in my PCIe then let windows install the driver for it, but when I go to reboot the computer it makes it all the way to the "starting windows" splash, but no future than that. I still here the start up jingle but my screen is frozen on the starting up logo. Please help me solve this thx.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How did Windows install a driver if you can't boot?

3. Larenzooo

Larenzooo Thread Starter

when i placed the card in the PCIe slot and turned the comp on it ran normally. It searched and got the drivers from online, but when i go to reboot the comp it freezes and the starting windows splash....

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Can you get into Safe Mode?

Is your power supply big enough for that card?

5. Larenzooo

Larenzooo Thread Starter

yes i can enter into safe mode. Also i told the guy at best buy i had a 305w power supply and he recommended this card but it said the min. for it was 400w. Can that be the issue?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, that is most likely the problem. You should actually go over the recommended since you may also want to power an extra drive, USB devices, and who knows what else at a later time. I'd go 500W at least.

The card uses less power with a basic driver because not all of its features are activated. When they were, you didn't have enough power for it. So much for salesmen.

7. Chrispy2000

Chrispy2000

I agree the power supply might be to small.
    Does the card require its own power cable? Some people dont realize that bigger cards have thier own power plug. It happens more than you might think.
    If you can get into safe mode with networking; f8 key repeatedly during reboot, uninstall the drivers and goto the the video card manufactures website and try downloading the latest drivers from them.
    See if that works.
    Hope you get it working soon........

8. Larenzooo

Larenzooo Thread Starter

No the card dosent require a power cable. i guess i have to get a bigger power supply.

9. Chrispy2000

Chrispy2000

Ge here and fill in the required fields to find out the best wattage PSU you need for your systems specs.http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/
    I use this alot when building customers gaming systems.
    it works every time. Wont hurt to add another 100watts to the recomended PSU just in case you want to expand even more in the future.
    Plus you can reuse it if you decide to start moding your own system build with lights and lighed fans.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1047545