Cant get back into Windows 98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

phoenix_07

I went home to my parents house and installed a USB PCI card, a sandisk digital camera cartridge reader, and an external parallel port microsolution backpack CD/RW burner. On my last restart of the computer it would not allow me back into Windows. I hit F12 and it gave me the error message. THE STACKS IN YOUR CONFIG.SYS ARE OVERFLOW, EDIT YOUR CONFIG.SYS AND TRY AGAIN (in dos window). Then I restart the computer again it boots me into the system in safe mode. I have examined all hardware, ran Norton System Works - Utilities. I cannot get the system to boot me in.
All day everything was working fine, the USB card was working, the digital card reader was working great and I was burning CD's. Could it possible that there is not enough RAM? (32) I ran msconfig and eliminated all startup programs ... ???

Any advice anyone can offer is much apprecited,

Chad

phoenix_07

I tried the Stacks reconfiguration, no success. What I did just to get back into Windows was remove the USB PCI card. booted back p great, reinstalled the card, everything was installed great, just cant get my broadband internet working now. When I plugged a USB device into th new card, I got the same message as before and I could not log back into Windows. Removed the device. I had to leave. I think the PCI NIC and USB are conflicting ... OH no, I mean the ISA NIC, could there be a conflict? ISA and USB I mean? When I ran msconfig and looked in the config.sys there were no lines to edit, so I added the suggested lines that where in the Microsoft Support page, no success.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online