1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't get bios to recognize new sata hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by royindfw, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. royindfw

royindfw Thread Starter

I just bought a wd 320 giga SATA hard drive. I have an asus a7n8x Deluxe motherboard. The SATA/Raid controller is installed or at least the bios says it is. The drive is recognized as the "primary", but it will not put it as the Master hard drive--only says it's the primary later in the bios post. Windows does not recognize it at all. When I try to install Windows XP, it says no hard drive detected, and tells me to hit F3 and Goodby. I have re-flashed the Bios about 2 dozen times with versions 1005 thru 1008 (the latest). I've changed the data cable. Nothing works. Anybody got a great idea i've missed? Would like to have the SATA, but will have to return it if I can't get bios to recognize it.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no master/slave relationship with SATA. The master/slave denotation is valid only for one particular IDE cable on one channel and has nothing to do with which drive contains your operating system.

If Windows does not see the drive, and it is not in either Device Manager or Disk Management, then you need a driver.

3. royindfw

royindfw Thread Starter

My SATA/Raid controller chip is made by Silicon Image. I went to their web site and they have various bios downloads to flash the motherboard bios. They have a couple that are later versions of the same SATA controller on my motherboard bios. Should I try to flash that SATA/RAID controller bios. Scarryyyyyy. If so, how do I do it?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you look in Device Manager and Disk Management (right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management) first to see if the drive is there?

5. royindfw

royindfw Thread Starter

I can't get to either of those since there's no operating system installed. I did download a driver from the Silicon Image web site. Followed their instruction sheet and put the drivers on a floppy. When Windows install started, it says click F6 if you have any additional drivers to have windows use in the install. I did and it did it's thing. Emergency's OVER. Thanks for the driver suggestion!!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Oh, sorry. I thought you were adding this to an installed system. But you figured it out, so good work.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice