1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant get bluetooth to work on vista? please help.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by hmvince, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hmvince

hmvince Thread Starter

ive been trying to get bluetooth to work on my "ASUS Notebook F5GL Series" with vista. I cant seem to get it working. there is no bluetooth icon in the taskbar, and i go to control panel, hardware and sound, down to bluetooth and click bluetooth settings but nothing happens, i also click add a wireless device but it doesnt find anything, my brother has a laptop running XP and his bluetooth is working fine. i have asked him but he has no idea about it. I was wondering if anyone knew what to do?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a look in device manager
    in vista

Start
    Control Panel
    Classic view
    system
    device manager - on lefthandside
    network adapters
    see if listed - mine is listed when switched on....only

3. hmvince

hmvince Thread Starter

it is not listed under any of the topics in the device manager but in the classic view control panel it has its own icon there. it cant be turned on and i do not know how to do that, any ideas?

4. hmvince

hmvince Thread Starter

an nobody help me out?:(

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's either a physical switch or a FN key combination to enable the Bluetooth adapter. Also check the BIOS to make sure it's enabled.

6. hmvince

hmvince Thread Starter

there is a wireless LAN switch on the side of my computer but that is always turned on and there is anso a FN key combination to turn that off and on, otherwise there is no physical switch or FN key combination to enable the bluetooth.
    so i went to the BIOS and i found this,
    bthmodem bluetooth serial communications driver
    it says that it is not started, and disabled on start mode. how do i enable this?

thanks for your help by the way;)

7. hmvince

hmvince Thread Starter

sorry about my previous post, i didnt actually go to the bios, that was in the system information.
    anyway, so i restarted my computer and pressed f2, which took me to the "real" BIOS. the problem is i couldnt find any place in it to enable and disable things, letalone the bluetooth option.
    i would really appreciate it if you could help me out.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you sure the laptop came with a Bluetooth adapter?

10. hmvince

hmvince Thread Starter

im sure it did come with a built in bluetooth adapter because on the front of the laptop there is a little light with the bluetooth symbol next to it but the light isnt on, and bluetooth is also in control panel.

11. hmvince

hmvince Thread Starter

OK, so i went to the asus site and found that the F5GL model wasnt there!, after a bit of searching i found that you could download the bluetooth driver for a different model and it should still work on the F5GL model.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that link should work

on first dropdown
    Notebook

2nd dropdown
    F5

3rd Dropdown
    F5GI

thats where I got the manual from and saw the bluetooth driver

i suppose it could be an i I took it as a lowercase l

13. hmvince

hmvince Thread Starter

okay so i installed the new driver but the bluetooth still isnt turned on and nothing has changed, any ideas?

14. hmvince

hmvince Thread Starter

yes,
    i actually have the asus "F5GL" model but i still downloaded the F5GI and that didnt work, the other one that i downloaded like i said, didnt change anything.

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so according to the manual the wireless switch switches both blue tooth and wireless on
    if this is on then you should see bluetooth in the netwrok adapters under device manager
    - if you managed to install the driver without any errors - I would have thought you would have an error message if not device found

if you go
    start
    all programs
    nothing there about bluetooth

playing with my sony vaio bluetooth
    if i go to
    control panel
    bluetooth
    open that
    nothing is showing - regardlessof if i turn bluetooth on or off via a software switch i have on the sony

if i click on bluetooth settings
    with it on - i get a tick in the box - allow bluetooth devices to find this computer
    if i turn off
    this tick is removed

anything like that on yours

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice