1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get cd-r to work!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bladefate, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bladefate

bladefate Thread Starter

hey guys I was hoping you could help me. I just got a new cd-r drive for my piece of poo poo e-machine. I can't get the computer to recognize the new drive. I tried plug and play and it did not work at all. I have the power supply as well as the ide cable hooked up. The drive light will come on when I boot up, but it never recognizes it. I have installed the software from the manufacturer. It is an exact cd rewriter with 48x16x48 speed. I tried burning a cd, but the only drive that was active the whole time was my normal cd drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:D

2. Rache

Rache Banned

Hi and welcome.
    How did you hook it up, as slave or master?

3. n2gun

n2gun

Welcome to tsg

First did you go into the bios and set it to auto detect the drive?

Assuning you put it on the same cable as you cd rom did you set it to slave?

Is it showing up on the first screen during bootup? You can hit pause to check if you have to, then enter to continue.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If this were my machine, I'd remove the original CD, jumper the CD-RW drive master/slave the same and install it in place of the original CD. There is little reason to have two drives in the machine, and the CD-RW will do anything the CD will do. This also removes the possibility of device conflicts, it's a 1:1 swap.

5. brbpab94

brbpab94

from the mother board the ribbon conected to the opposit end will be the master make sure the jumper in the back of that cd is set to master.The connecter in the center of the ribbon is the slave connection make sure the jumper in the back of that cd is set to slave.also make sure you connect the power to the new drives I asume the old drive is already connected

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice