1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get CMOS right

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Just Asking, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Just Asking

Just Asking Thread Starter

I just replaced my motherboard. I now have a ASROCK K7VT4A Pro. I reattached all my old devices, but I keep hanging on startup. It reads:

Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
    Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device

Any help would be appreciated.

2. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Do you hace any drives hooked up? Are they sata? If so, you have to enable them in bios.

3. Just Asking

I have two hard drives, a CD drive, a DVD?CD writer, and a floppy.
    My hard drives are set up as master and slave as parallel ATA. The same with the CD and DVD drives.

4. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Nothing is sata, right?
    Do all 4 drives show up in bios?
    Are the pins set to master/slave or CS?
    Is the OS already on 1 disk?

5. Flags

Flags

I would go into the BIOS and disable the 2 SATA drives so the system stops looking for Serial drives.
    While you're in there be sure that your PATA drives are set to Auto.

6. Just Asking

Right.
    Yes, all drives listed in BIOS
    Yes, I haven's changed pins since I removed the old motherboard.
    Yes, OS is on the master HDD.

Something I'm just noticing, is that none of my changes save to the CMOS. Not time and date....nothing saves. Could it be the battery? Would that explain my problems?

7. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Your battery may be the problem because if it was working you should be able to save settings.
    So your hard drives are set to master and slave and not CS, right? Some mobos won't recognize CS.

8. Just Asking

The drive settings are master and slave, not cs. The motherboard I replaced was another ASROCK of similar vintage, but different model. I thought it would be relatively simple, but it might be that starting from scratch is simpler.
    I'll try a new battery and let you know.
    Thanks for all the help.

9. ProWFP

ProWFP

If it were the battery you wouldn't be able to boot, am I right?

10. Just Asking

Maybe so. I tried swapping out the battery with an older one that I had sitting around, and there was no sign of life...no boot, no lights or fan. I returned the orginal battery and I back to the original problem.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you can access BIOS, make changes and the changes are not saving it is very probable that the BIOS chip is defective. If the BIOS chip is not soldered to the board, you could pull the chip, and try reseating it.

If you pull the chip and reseat, and if that doesn't solve the problem you MAY just have to buy a new BIOS chip. If the chip is soldered to the board, don't even think about trying to remove it.

12. Just Asking

It looks like the chip is seated in a plastic square, but I've never pulled the BIOS chip before. What's the trick?

13. ProWFP

ProWFP

I used a weird tool that looked like a flat head 2mm screw driver, insert it on the open corner and just move it forward to lift the BIOS chip.

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice