1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get computer to connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by natecohen2k5, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. natecohen2k5

natecohen2k5 Thread Starter

Hi I work at a computer shop and am having problems getting this computer to connect to the internet.

It's a Dell and it has a broadcom onboard NIC card. When I connect the ethernet cord it just keeps saying acquiring internet connection on the bottom. It doesn't stop doing this. I tried installing a different NIC card and it has the same problem. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the card and that didn't help either. Also I have some error messages in the log that might help.

The DHCP Client service depends on the SYMTDI service which failed to start because of the following error:
    A device attached to the system is not functioning.

and

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    SYMTDI

I also tried rebuilding the TCP/IP Stack which didn't help at all. Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit: I tried setting the TCP/IP for a static IP and it works fine. It only works when I manually set the IP. The router is fine though because I connect other computers to the internet. Something must be messed up with the DHCP.

2. mf-tech

mf-tech

From Microsoft's site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812335

Error 7003 DHCP service failed to start because dependency service SYMTDI will not start.

CAUSE
    This issue may occur because the DCHP client does not initialize properly and leaves no IP address (the IP address appears to be 0.0.0.0). This behavior is known to occur when you remove Norton Antivirus software from the system and the removal process leaves a SYMTDI dependency.

RESOLUTION
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate the following Registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP DependOnService
    Note The variable lists SYMTDI.
    4. Edit the value to remove SYMTDI from the dependency list.
    5. Restart the computer.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

amazing, you're a tech and give little history of what's happened, JUST DOESN'T WORK.

if the dell had been restored with a cd, did anyone install chipset, nic, video and sound drivers?

is it cable/dsl, manual setup or with cd? it does make a difference in how it's setup.

ob nic may have failed, pci slot/card could be bad.

4. natecohen2k5

yeah im a tech and i just figured it out...it was Norton AntiVirus. It was still on the computer but not really installed. Ran Norton Uninstaller and problem was fixed.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

nowadays any message i get, i google. not sure if that's how you resolved the issue.

6. tony007

tony007 Banned

Nortons always doing things like this if I work on a pc and cant get on the internet if it has norton I always disable it 9 times out of ten it is the culprit. The funny thing is a lot of pc's can be bought with norton already installed this is not a security suite for beginners, it needs to be configured correctly, which a lot of the times it is'ent.

7. natecohen2k5

I usually google the error messages too. But I just figured this one out on my own after working on it for awhile.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!