1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get data off of former RAID hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by edcool1, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edcool1

edcool1 Thread Starter

In January I had gone on a trip out of state for a week, when I left my computer was running fine. I shut down the computer, and turned off the power strip before I left. The computer had RAID 1. When I came back I noticed I had an extra hard drive, and I noticed the RAID had failed for some reason (I don't know why, it was shut off the whole time).

Long story short, the computer was getting old and I decided to put the drives into a new computer, but when I did the computer did not recognize them. I booted the computer with a live cd and it said something about it being an unknown raid configuration, or something like that. All windows wants to do with the drives is format them.

I had set up the raid just so it would be almost impossible to lose the data on them, is there a way to recover the data? Can I make the drives usable without formatting them?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

With RAID 1 the drives are each a complete duplicate of the other. I would remove one drive from the RAID and connect it as a secondary drive to a system without RAID. If that doesn't work, try the other drive. If that doesn't work, you might try some data recovery software.

I had a similar situation recently and Easy Recovery Pro did a superb job of recovering absolutely everything.

3. mattyc

mattyc

Do you still have the old pc (where the disks where in RAID?)
    Maybe that machine will be able to recognize them and you could copy them over to the new pc.

I don't have much experience with RAID so someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that unless you hook the drives up to the exact same type of controller the disks will need to be formatted and the array needs to be rebuilt.

4. bigbear

bigbear

The only redundancy RAID 1 has is hard drive failure.
    If one drive fails then you can boot from the second, this must be done on the machine the array was built on, putting them in another machine will not work.
    RAID of any flavour is NOT!! backup

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice