1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant get defrag or scandisk to work

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by crmusician, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crmusician

crmusician Thread Starter

hello everyone..
    i'm running windows 98 with celeron 466..my problem is i can't get it to defrag or do a scan disk..i'm not getting any warnings when i try to start either one..they will come up on the screen but they wont do anything....i am turning off all other programs before starting.....can anyone help???
    thanks
    crm:confused:

2. ddriver

ddriver

Have you tried going into safe mode at bootup and running them both?

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

(tap F8 twice per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted)

In Normal Mode you must first disable your screen saver (choose None) and your anti-virus' real-time scanner before defrag or scan disk. In Safe Mode you must disable your screen saver only, because most drivers, like your Anti-virus' real-time scanner, won't start.

Configure Sacan Disk like this, if you haven't already:

Open Scan Disk; put a check in Automatically fix errors box; Click the Advanced button; The following should be checked:

Always Display Summary
    Notify you only if errors are found
    Replace Log
    Delete Cross-Linked Files
    Free Lost File Fragments
    Check for Invalid Names,Dates,Times; No check beside Duplicate names
    Check Host first
    No checks beside: Prompt before fixing errors and Report MS-Dos mode name length errors
    Put a check in AutoFix Errors

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice