1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get drivers or codecs that work so NO sound or video :( please help.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TripleH2k3, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TripleH2k3

TripleH2k3 Thread Starter

I am running a Dell Latitude c640 with Windows XP and things were going ok with the video until I had to reinstall windows and now it acts like I'm watching a webcast over a dialup connection...VerY BAD. My sound never has worked too great.....I could hear things fine but I need to crank my WMP 11 up to the max and I had to do the same in the Volume Controls (everything is as high as it'll go) and it still wasn't that loud. I thought these problems were because of WMP so I tried quicktime, Realplayer, VLC......and just got the same problem.

I checked the driver download page on Dell.com and tried a sound card driver and to my surprise IT WORKED:D but then when I rebooted everything froze and the only way to get things going was to do a System Restore:mad: I've tried to download other stuff to help me through Dell.com and I make sure to check the compatibility before I do but I still get the same problem. :( I have tried a program called Driver Genius and download what it recommends but still have a problem with my pc freezing.

Does anyone know what I can do? I am so confused......I have no idea what to do (what else is new?) I keep trying everything I can think of but it just leads me back to do System Restores......Oh what fun!!

Someone Please help me.....I can not live without my music and this is driving me crazy.

2. The Hound

The Hound

You've tried the Crystal Audio driver found here?

And the ATI video driver here?

Before installing, click start, run, type devmgmt.msc and click ok.
    Click the plus to expand Display Adapters and right click and uninstall all display adapters listed.

Same for Sound, Video and Game Controllers.

Reboot, and install the drivers you've downloaded from dell.

Attached Files:

3. TripleH2k3

***BANGS HEAD ON DESK REPEATEDLY*** I am so stupid. I didn't uninstall the adapters before I installed what I downloaded......no wonder there was a conflict. THANK YOU The Hound...I did what you said and everything is working fine. :) I'm sorry for my pc stupidity....I've been using computers for 10 years now and sometimes it seems like it has only been 10 minutes...lol....I'm still learning. Thanx again.

4. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

when you're done banging your head, make use of the 'thread tools' and mark this thread as solved :)

5. The Hound

The Hound

Money my butt--drivers are the root of all evil:D

6. TripleH2k3

[/FONT]I posted a thread the other day explaining my problem with loading drivers. The Hound helped me by telling me to uninstall the audio adapter and then load the downloaded driver......I did that and it restarted when it told me to and it worked great but when I turned on my laptop today I faced the same problem that I explained in my first post......my laptop froze at the very start and I had to do a system restore to be able to do anything.

My sound is back to the way it was before and that is LOW. I have NO IDEA why I am having so many problems when trying to update drivers but every single time I try to I always got to do a System Restore.

Can someone PLEASE help me out and tell me why my laptop is doing this, what I can do to stop it, and how I can get my audio drivers to actually work and keep working this problem has got me totally puzzled:confused: :confused:

Dell Latitude c640
    Windows XP Pro
    WMP 11
    (anything else that you need to solve this problem just let me know)

7. TripleH2k3

[/FONT]I posted a thread the other day explaining my problem with loading drivers. The Hound helped me by telling me to uninstall the audio adapter and then load the downloaded driver......I did that and it restarted when it told me to and it worked great but when I turned on my laptop today I faced the same problem that I explained in my first post......my laptop froze at the very start and I had to do a system restore to be able to do anything.

My sound is back to the way it was before and that is LOW. I have NO IDEA why I am having so many problems when trying to update drivers but every single time I try to I always got to do a System Restore.

Can someone PLEASE help me out and tell me why my laptop is doing this, what I can do to stop it, and how I can get my audio drivers to actually work and keep working this problem has got me totally puzzled:confused: :confused:

Dell Latitude c640
    Windows XP Pro
    WMP 11
    (anything else that you need to solve this problem just let me know)

8. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

This is a duplicate post. Please do not respond here.

Dup

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

10. TripleH2k3

sorry for the duplicate post.....I didn't see it on the main board so I thought it didn't get submitted so I posted it again only to have it show up. I really need help on this subject PLEASE help me.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've merged all the duplicates here, please don't create new threads. If you want something "unsolved", just report the post with the red triangle and a moderator will fix it.

12. The Hound

The Hound

You're sure it's not from banging your head on the desk, right?:D

Seriously though...

Okay, let's see if I'm following...When you uninstalled, then reinstalled with the right driver, rebooted when prompted, all was peachy...When you shut down, you got up, you booted up, and you locked up?

If you got past the lockup by using system restore, you put the sound driver back to the restore point, so the issue is the same as it was...

Do the uninstall and reinstall again--reboot when prompted.
    Then try this: Click start, run, type msconfig and click ok.
    On the general tab, click 'selective startup', and uncheck 'load startup items'.
    Click apply, click ok. Reboot when prompted. See what happens. Shut down. Reboot again.
    If that clears the issue, then something in your startup group is causing the issue.

13. TripleH2k3

Hound, I did what you suggested and now I have no sound at all.......and yes you were correct about my pc problem....it works after i install and restart when it tells me to but any other time I restart everything locks up on me.

ok I did exactly as instructed....I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver then unchecked the "load startup items" and rebooted but now I can work my laptop fine after the install but I have no sound. :( I opened device manager and there's an exclamation point (!) by the Crystal WDM Audio codec.

Any suggestions on what else I can try would be greatly appreciated....I don't have the money to take it in and have a guy look at it......I have a sneaky feeling he will just tell me that I need a now sound card and I bet he can find one for me cheap.....pffft yeah right.....but I really don't think I need one cuz I had great sound after I installed the driver but everything goes screwy when I restart.

14. The Hound

The Hound

Okay-check two things.

First, what does device manager tell you about the Crystal WDM codec? No driver? Disabled? Unable to start?

Second-go back to msconfig and see if there's an entry for crystal-maybe a mixer-if so, we'll have to do msconfig a bit different. Recheck 'load startup items', and on the startup tab, make a list of what's checked-we'll readd items if this works. When you have the list, click 'disable all', and then put a check back in the crystal audio item if it's there.. Click apply, ok, reboot when prompted. Test again.

15. TripleH2k3

:( problems all over the place. I have been trying to get back to the device manager to tell you what it said but my laptop keeps freezing. I restarted 4 times trying to get to it but it all ended with the same result as before...........the oh so great System Restore. What the hell is going on? I have never had this kind of problem before I got my laptop back from the shop.....but I should tell you why it was at the shop in the first place cuz maybe that has something to do with my current situation.

I found a site that told me how to maximize my dsl speed but I had to mess with the Registry....I did everything it said and restarted but couldn't get back on or do anything....couldn't even reinstall windows, so I took it into the shop to have the guy look at it and he got it working but I don't know if there is still a problem with my registry. After a partition is deleted, created and reformatted again does the problem with the registry still remain or does it start fresh? Just thought I would mention this because I have no idea why I can't load drivers on my laptop anymore.

I'm going to wait a little while and hopefully there will be a reply soon otherwise I am just gonna try something else on my own but whenever I do I just end up in trouble......so maybe it's better if I just wait. Please tell me what I need to do.
    Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!