1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can't get dual audio output to work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Automaton539, Mar 13, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Automaton539

Automaton539 Thread Starter

Ok, so, since I'm getting blasted every time for not giving minute details I'll start by saying I know the trick of using StereoMix in the sound options. That isn't working. I've done it multiple times before successfully, so I know what I'm doing with that. That was when I was using 3.5mm jacks for headset + hdmi to tv to give the same audio to both devices.

The problem has started since I bought a new headset (other one died from age) and is now USB. I can plug my old headset in (still has partial audio and full mic, but when you're a gamer half audio is basically the same as no audio) and get it to work every time, just like I did before, but when I do exactly the same thing with my USB audio I get nothing.

I've googled for an answer but most places just tell you to use stereomix, which as stated doesn't work now, I even tried using an audio mixer that was suggested (Voicemeeter Banana) and though it will playback streamed audio from (for example) youtube to each device individually, it won't send to both devices together, even though when using the tester and selecting an audio file from my computer it *will* play that from both devices simultaniously.

Anyone here had any experience with this?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Depends on what exactly you are trying to do.

Stereo Mix combines the two audio streams on the audio chipset. So, for example, you can record game play AND hear comments or chat from your headset. By default, those streams are separate and treated as such. But, as you have used this in the past, you already know this. Stereo Mix is an audio chipset driver/software option (and is likely present on your motherboard audio chipset drivers ...likely Realtek).

Having said all of that, USB audio does NOT use the audio chipset. USB audio connected devices are treated as individual devices. So any changes that you make in the Realtek options have no effect on the USB output. The Realtek options only control the audio ports on the motherboard.

3. Automaton539

Yea, I figured that was the reason it didn't work, though I'm pretty sure I was clear in what I wanted.

I want audio to come out of my hdmi TV, and my USB headset at the same time.

Example, my partner likes to watch me play my games sometimes, but I also play a lot of co-op, as such I need the headset on to talk to my mate, but with the headset on she can't hear the game, only me, and just watching a soundless picture on the screen is not entertaining. So I want my audio going to my headset and to my TV.

Obviously with the old 3.5 jacks I could use stereomix because it took all the inbou d and outbou d from that and then relayed it to the hdmi output. But since I'm bypassing the jack input stereomix doesn't work, so now I need a new way to do that.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Maybe Virtual Audio Cable. Searching about I've seen a few different apps, but they are basically stereo mix alternatives (if the option is missing from the drivers). If I can figure out how to word my search, Im sure I will find something. The key is likely to not focus on Stereo Mix. You need a tool which allows audio output to two "devices".

Otherwise, maybe someone else has a proven solution.

5. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    They are two different audio streams and only one can be the active stream.

If the audio is sent to the TV. I suggest using analogue headphones connected to the audio out/headphone jack of the TV.

6. Automaton539

Yea, not gonna happen, I specifically bought a usb headset cause it's got better 7.1 emulation than with a single 3.5mm jack, not to mention since I do now have a new headset already that is usb, I can't afford to buy another one just to get dual audio. If it's just not possible with a hdmi + usb then that's something I'll just have to deal with. But, as stated, when I used VoiceMeeter Banana it *was* sending audio to both devices, just not audio from programmes that weren't it.

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    And after more searching, the only results that I've found for those who have gotten this to work, were using VoiceMeeter. Otherwise, as noted, Windows can't output to two devices. And I've seen no other ways of getting it to work.

8. Automaton539

Thanks man, well, good to know. I suppose I can try again with voicemeeter. See if I can get that to work. Thanks for the help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice