1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant get dual boot to work

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by SmokeEater85911, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SmokeEater85911

SmokeEater85911 Thread Starter

I have a toshiba x205-S9800 with vista premium. I want to set it up t dual boot XP but cant get it to work.

I set up a separate partition and everything for XP to go on, and I have a legal copy of xp.. but it wont let me do it for some reason. it says it cant find any of the hard drives?? do I need a RAID driver? i wasnt able to find one for my system, please help!!

2. richard94

richard94

Common problem. Go into your BIOS setup and find the setting for S-ATA native support. Disable it. Done.

You will also need to follow a guide for installing XP after Vista once you have done this.

3. SmokeEater85911

thanks, its really that simple? and yeah I already found a guide that has me use EasyCDB or something like that, which basically corrects the MBR and allows me to pick which OS i want.. to be honest though I havent found 1 thing really wrong with vista yet.. all my games work all my programs work.. should i even make the switch?

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

If everything works, why not stick with Vista? Getting XP on is a fair bit of hassle.. before you even start, you need to ensure you casn get XP drivers for al the hardware, and from what gets posted here it seems an awful lot of newer rigs havent got the support. But if you do want XP, then do make sure you can get all the drivers, download them, burn them to CD so you have them all ready, then work through the install.
    As for why it wonr install, this has been the case with evey OS MS have released ( I think). Anytime you want to revet to a previous version, it wont let you do it through windows- which, if you thinkabout it, does make sense :)

5. SmokeEater85911

i dunno I guess I havent found hardly any incompatibility issues yet, all my games have worked on it so far (im getting some older ones in the mail soon so we will see) but all my software i transfered over from my other laptop running XP has worked so far. and as long as I turn the graphics setting down and kill any non-vital running processes, then it should peak at it's performance very well. with everything running and on the most resource-consuming setting still scores itself at a 4.5 so I guess I cant really complain.

6. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Cool :)
    Not trying to put down XP in any way, it wasjust a thought along the lines of if it aint broke, dont fix it. Installing XP after vista seems to bring up a lot of probs for many people, and then theres the drivers issue... If you can get to grips with vista, it can be a sound system :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice