1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't get email in my hotmail account from some but can from others

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gntlmnjim, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gntlmnjim

gntlmnjim Thread Starter

I have a hotmail account. Some people try to send me emails but they are returned as undeliverable while I can get emails from others.

2. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody

Welcome to the forum!

This is a tough one for me. Let's troubleshoot this until someone else stops by.

First, help me out. Are you using Outlook Express to access the hotmail account? I'll assume for now that you are. So you CAN receive the mail from your web based browser account, but cannot receive mail into your Outlook Exress. Let's clarify that before we proceed.

Can you send e-mail to those who cannot send mail to you?

Have you checked to see that you not have blocked mail from their servers?

Check for commonalities between the origination points of the non-deliverables.

What we are looking is one factor that applies to all non-deliverables. If they are originating from the same server, then that would be suspect. However, we can eliminate that possibility easily enough. That would leave us to look internally at your program -- so let's check to make sure we haven't accidentally changed something in the OPTIONS of Outlook Express.

What version are you using? Have you had this problem before?

Mr. P

3. gntlmnjim

gntlmnjim Thread Starter

4. gntlmnjim

gntlmnjim Thread Starter

This is hard to explain. First I will tell you that I started getting emails this morning...some were sent two days ago...but I am not sure I got all that were sent.

I use Netscape (ver 7.1) to access hotmail and yes, I can access my web based browser account.

The deliverable emails and non-deliverable emails were not coming from the same account.

I am sorry if I made work for you for no reason...keeping my fingers crossed.

Jim

5. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody

Not at all. Troubleshooting is fun. I have been told that I think in linear, analytical terms (that's what I thought they said -- it was hard to hear with all the screaming. :)

I don't have netscape so I am in the dark here.

OK, let me another stab at this. E-mails can get lost in the internet sometimes for reasons that are beyond your control. So this is a variable symptom. we can;t be sure it is being caused by your unit.

However, you said that you can't be sure if you received all the e-maisl that were sent. But, if you compared what you receive in Netscape with what you receive on the web based hotmail site, you would know if any weren't getting in.

I want to make sure the e-mails aren't coming from the same SERVER, not the same account. So that would be all e-mails from the destination address that comes after the @ sign. as in [email protected] server.com.

You can also check in Netscape to see if you ahve any mail blocked. There should be an options, tools, or some other editting tool that permits you to block e-mail that comes from servers that you designate. Try and fine that and make sure that you know what is being blocked, if anything.

When you say that started getting e-mails this morning, does that mean that you are now getting them satisfactorily, and you were NOT getting them okay earlier? Has the symptom changed?

p

6. gntlmnjim

gntlmnjim Thread Starter

I am using Netscape to get my hotmail messages...which were not getting there from my own server where I am using Netscape email. Yes...the emails are now getting to my hotmail account from my server account. My server was doing some work but I don't know if it had to do with email or not. I didn't have any problems sending emails to other accounts/pen pals. I just noticed that my hotmail account was not getting any mail in it for several days so I started checking it. Everything seems to be working properly now.

Thanks for your help. Your service is a real help.

Jim

7. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody

If something changes in the next couple of days, let me know. I am glad to hear it is working now.

Mr. P

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice