Can't get ethernet to work on newly built pc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jourdanathan

(I am really not computer savvy at all) I just built a new pc and connected an ethernet cable to it because I have an ethernet port in my wall and I don't have a way to connect to wifi right now. In the bottom right corner it has the yellow yield sign over the connection and when I try to trouble shoot it gives me this message "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding". I looked up some solution and I've tried switching the cables(I tried a new cable, I plugged it into my xbox and it worked, and I plugged it into a router and it worked for about 20 mins then went back), doing the command prompt thing, setting the Internet Protocol version 4 and 6 to obtain ip address and dns server address automatically.

Try powering off the router and then back on again.

If that doesn't work, try supplying the ipv4 dns server to Google's dns server addresses: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
Are you that you have a "ethernet port in my wall" and not a phone connection?

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
What is the IP Information when you are plugged in? In command prompt do the ipconfig /all command and if you can do a screenshot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online