Can't get external drive to show up in explorer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

psyguy

WHATISHAPPENING.jpg I was using my seagate external hard drive, but then I tripped over the cord. When I plugged it back in, it didn't show up in windows explorer. It shows up in device manager as a driver, and it sort-of shows up under disk management, but now it says it is in raw format. However, when I launched a program to recover the raw files back into NTFS, it says it's still in NTFS. I'm not sure what is going on. It seems my computer is trying to read my external drive as two drives, neither of which it can do anything with. The drive is neither full nor empty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Is there data on the drive that you need
Send image of it in device manager please

psyguy

device.jpg Yes, the drive should be 1/2 to 3/4th of the way full with stuff I need.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. what when that tested device is selected is shown on fail info
2. Test the NA8ET expansion desk entry

There is also of course the chance that
but then I tripped over the cord
this has not merely disconnected the drive cord but damaged the cord connection or the port - unlikely but possible

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If that does not work and you are content there is apparently no damage to the cable or its connection in the Expansion disk case
then it maybe that its disconnection whilst data was being written to it has corrupted the file system that allows windows to see the data rather than considering raw

Your options are:-
Boot the system with a Linux usb or CD and Linux may well see the files, it is more forgiving than windows
See this for how to do that
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shutdown-pc-while-formatting.1169909/#post-9235539

substitute that download for Puppy with this one
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download Latest Release.htm

You then mount/open the Seagate and if you are lucky your data will be there and you can then follow the guidance for copying to a usb pen and then to another computer
If that works you can then format the Seagate and start again

Alternatively you can try TestDisk
I have had good results with it but the guide requires careful reading
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

you may find this guide easier to follow and using that and referring to the guide on the link above you should be OK
https://www.sevenforums.com/software/190430-regain-lost-drive-using-test-disk-illustrated-guide.html

Were it to be me I would try the Puppy one - Linux recognises files that windows will not

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers
If Linux Puppy does not see it the file system
then testdisk is your last chance apart from attempted recovery programs

I am not familiar with the Seagate expansion drive - is it relatively easily removable from its case
That if so would eliminate the chance that the connection - usb is damaged

psyguy

It is difficult to remove from the case. I'm willing to give it a shot though if that'd be helpful.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I would not try it yet - I consider that the last resort even if it was easy

I am online for most of the evening - just ask if you have any problems with booting PUPPY
make sure of course you are not installing it - you are simply using it in ram as a means to see if the drive is seen
LINUX is far more forgiving than Windows in seeing a corrupted file system

psyguy

Okay, so I tried opening it in Linux. Here's what it says (I'm typing this out by hand, so a character or two might be off).

Unable to mount Seagate Expansion Drive
Error mounting /dev/sdd2 at /media/ubuntu/Seagate Expansion Drive: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o
"uhelper=udisk2,nodev,nosuid,uid=999,gid=999" "/dev/sdd2" "/
media/ubuntu/Seagate Expansion Drive'" exited with non-zero exist status 13: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
The file system wasn't safely closed on Windows. Fixing.
ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory,
(e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid'
documentation
for more details.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online