1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get favorites from old setup to work in new setup

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Alex Ethridge, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I had to replace the hard disk in this computer; but, the old disk was running well enough so that I backed up all the user data, Favorites folder, etc. In the past, I have always been able to just copy the content of the old Favorites folder to the new Favorites folder and the Favorites would all show up in IE; but, for some reason none of the copied favorites shwo, only new ones made in the new setup.

What can I do to fix this?

NOTE: I am putting the Favs into the CORRECT folder.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Make sure your old favorites and Favorites folder aren't set as Read-only or Hidden.

3. Alex Ethridge

They are not read-only and Folder Options in Control Panel is set to show all files, even hidden and system files.

If the Favorites folder were set as read-only, would I have been able to copy the old Favorites into it? (That is a sincere question, not a rhetorical one.)

4. Phantom010

Not sure how you copied that folder but I was referring to the old folder and its content.

The normal procedure is to Import the Favorites.

5. Alex Ethridge

How I copied:

Removed the disk from its home computer
    Connected it as a secondary to another system

XXCopy G:\*.* F:\Backup\ /r /i /c /h /k /y /s /d

XXCopy is a third-party version of XCopy. More reliable, more powerful, more configurable and puts RoboCopy to shame. Will copy deeper folders and will copy files and folders that XCopy will sometimes (rarely) leave behind. I've been using it for ten+ years and it has been very, very reliable.

Besides, why would it matter? I can see the old links in the old (copied) folder and I can see them in the new Favorites folder in Windows Explorer. I can double-click them (in Windows Explorer) in either place and IE opens the relevant web page.

The method I described has ALWAYS worked. This is the FIRST time in well over a thousand times that it hasn't.

The Favorites were moved from Windows Vista to Windows 7; but, that shouldn't matter as I've done that very thing hundreds of times.

6. Alex Ethridge

I see no option in IE to Import a folder full of URLs.

The old system would not run so they could not be exported from there.

7. Phantom010

Inside Internet Explorer, open the Favorites (the star icon) on the left.

Click on the little drop down menu arrow right of Add to Favorites...

Click on Import and Export...

8. Alex Ethridge

I did that and it wants a file that ends in HTM or HTML. The default is Bookmarks.HTML. There is no option I can see to import a folder full of URLs as IE Favorites are.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Internet Explorer stores Favorites as individual shortcuts. Why can't you just copy and paste from one location to another?

10. Alex Ethridge

As stated in my initial post, that is exactly what I did; but, the pasted-in files are ignored in IE while any new Favorites added are recognized just fine. I opened the Favorites folder after adding a few Favorites in IE and the new Favorites added are in the folder along side the rest and are indistinguishable from the rest.

This is very confusing.

11. Phantom010

Insure that the Favorites entries point to the correct location of the Windows\Favorites folder.

What's your operating system? Were the favorites copied from the same OS?

On my Windows XP, the registry keys to check are:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell folders

HKEY_USERS\.default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell folders

HKEY_USERS\.default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell folders

I know, if your new favorites can be seen normally, the registry shouldn't have anything to do with it. But hey, you must admit you have a pecular problem... :D ;)

What about Permissions? Right-click the Security tab and make sure the Permisssions haven't been modified in any way.

Inside the Favorites folder, is the File Type for the old favorites Internet Shortcuts?

I know you said all was well when opening the Favorites folder, however, it's acting a bit like if you had copied the favorites to the wrong account, like let's say a Guest account instead of your actual account... :confused:

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you copying and pasting or cutting and pasting? Copying should apply the same attributes as the folder.

13. Alex Ethridge

New favorites are appearing in the same folder where I pasted the backed-up favorites. So it appears obvious to me the Registry is set to use the folder where I put the favorites. I copied the favorites from the old hard disk to a backup disk using XXCopy then copied and pasted them from the backup disk to a temporary working folder on the new disk then MOVED (cut-n-paste) them to the Windows 7 system. This method has ALWAYS worked until now.

But, I'll check those settings anyway and get back to you.

I just remembered something I did that was different this time. Before putting the favorites into the working folder on the new disk, I searched for and deleted all *.LNK. I don't know what bearing that might have on this problem; but, it is the only thing I can think of that was done differently. I have searched for *.LNK on two other Win7 systems here and get no hits in the Favorites folder, though.

Concerning permissions, I checked and made sure it is set to full permissions for everyone.

UPDATE:

After typing all of the above, I found that all the files were set as hidden. How did they get hidden? The same reason all the other files and menu items got hidden, the Alureon.E virus did it. In addition to the old disk having had a hardware failure, the system was infected with the Alureon.E virus.

I guess I should have mentioned that; but, I figured that copying user data would have left all virus-related files and Registry entries behind. This is a first for me, having the after-effects of a virus follow user data to a new system even after doing a virus scan on the backed-up (user data) files; but, the hidden attribute would certainly not be detected as a virus.

I unhid the files and now all is well.

Thanks, guys, for all the help. You prodded me into stumbling onto the problem.

Wow! Learned something new.

14. Phantom010

I did ask you that in my first post... :D (y)

15. Alex Ethridge

I checked the folder and missed the file part.

Sorry.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice