1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get Firefox or Thunderbird to run - Windows says it's already running

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by helpseeker, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

I'm trying to set up my new computer, running WinXP Pro. After installing Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, and transferring the Profiles folders from my other computer, I've run into this really annoying problem. When I try to run either Firefox or TB, I get a message box saying that Firefox/TB can't run because another copy is already running but not responding. Close the other one and try again. But I can't find any evidence of the program running. Not in the taskbar, nor in Task Manager. Does anyone know what's going on here, and what I need to do to correct this and be able to use those programs?

2. Augie65

Augie65

Make sure that firefox.exe and thunderbird.exe are both terminated in the Processes tab.
    Check Windows Startup folder to make sure neither are listed there.
    Start> All Programs> Startup
    Start> Run> type msconfig and hit OK, check the Startup tab and make sure neither are listed there.
    If all fails, I would completely uninstall both and delete the profiles and reinstall from fresh setup file.

3. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

I removed it and reinstalled it, fresh from the same download I've been using. Restarted the computer. Same problem. It says I must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart the system. Re-starting doesn't help. Where do I find the Processes tab you refer to? And how do I COMPLETELY remove it? (I'm new to XP, and beginning to wish I stayed with 98)

4. Augie65

Augie65

Right click the taskbar and select Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab and look for
    firefox.exe and thunderbird.exe. Click on each one that you find and click the
    End Process button.
    To uninstall it completely, just follow the instructions on the completely uninstall link I posted earlier. Open Windows Explorer and click on Tools> Folder Options> View tab.
    Scroll down and tick the radio button: Show hidden files and folders then click Apply and OK.
    To delete the profile folder you have to go to
    C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
    and delete the Firefox folder to delete the Profiles folder.
    Keep a copy of your Profiles that you moved from your other computer and use the default profile with the Firefox download first. Then if it is running ok, then you can move your saved settings into the new profile.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice