1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get G-Force FX 5500 PCI to work properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rnick821, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnick821

rnick821 Thread Starter

I used to be pretty good at hardware stuff, but things got too complicated. I'll do my best to explain.

I have an HP Pavilion a230n with Athalon 2.08 GHz, 512meg RAM, 128GB HD, etc. It has built in NVDIA GeForce 4MX with 64 MB DDR shared video memory.

I bought a G-Force 5500 PCI with 128 MB ram for a pretty good price and want to use it. I have installed it, and it seems to work pretty good, but I keep on getting this window popping up saying that the system has recovered from a serious error. When I sent the error to Microsoft, this is what it comes up with:

Error type Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
    Solution available? Yes
    What does this error mean? You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.
    Cause A video adapter device driver
    Computer symptoms A message appears on a blue screen with error code information:

STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
    - or -
    STOP: 0x100000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

and then below it:

Additional Technical Information

* Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

This is what I have done so far:

1. Downloaded and attempted to install latest drivers

2. Downloaded and attempted to use driver cleaner to remove the old drivers for the built-in video (no luck...they keep on automatically re-installing, no matter what i do)

3. Used the device manager to disable the old drivers/onboard video

For the most part, it seems as though the card is working (I think). The video seems to be quite clear and when I run the NVIDIA control panel, I can do the 3-D adjustments and such. The device manager says the device is working properly. This error, however, is annoying as it will NOT GO AWAY!!!! You hit "Don't Send" and it just comes back. You send, it reports the error and then comes back a few minutes later.

I don't know if this is related, but it seems as though I can't get the computer into sleep mode since installing the card and getting these errors, and my wife has said that twice the cordless mouse has stopped working on her while she was using the system since the new card and error. All very strange.

Help?

Any idea how I can get rid of it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/479631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice