1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Get Internet on Dell Inspiron E1505

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fryguy8585, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fryguy8585

fryguy8585 Thread Starter

Hey guys, my friend just reformatted his hardrive on his Dell Inspiron E1505 running Windows XP. We are both students in college right now and are having trouble getting the wireless network running on his computer. I know that the driver for the wireless internet card has to be re-installed, but I only have my Dell Resource CD for my E1705; he doesn't have the on that came with his. I tried installing a few of the internet card drivers on his computer from my CD, but none of them are picking up a wireless network. Are the drivers on his CD and my CD different? If they aren't, which driver am I supposed to be installing, because none of them seem to be working? If they are different, is there any place that I can find the driver necessary to run on his computer?
    Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it.

2. HazzMatt77

HazzMatt77

Is the WiFi light coming on at all near the power button? Is your laptop able to connect wirelessly to his router? Also, is this the only router in the network?

I have that same laptop myself and had a couple issues regarding internet connection and the wireless router. So I may be able to help somewhat.

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

when you format you've got to use the service tag at dell/support for chipset, video, sound, nic/ethernet/network adapter.

no drivers on the resource cd.

4. fryguy8585

HazzMatt- we are students at Binghamton University in upstate NY, so we're trying to connect to the school's wireless network, no routers are involved. My friend is away for the weekend and will be back later today, and he will let me know if the Wi-Fi light is on.

Bearone2- I'm not quite sure I understand what the service tag dell support is...how do I get my hands on it?

5. HazzMatt77

HazzMatt77

The service tag is right under the cd/dvd drive. The express code is there too. When ever I have an issue and call Dell, they always ask for that info. Maybe if your friend calls them and explains that he did a format, they will send you all the CDs needed. They did that when I had a major problem and I had to do a clean install of my OS. The CDs they sent had everything I needed for all my hardware.

Now that I know you don't have any routers involved and it's public access, that takes care of a lot. Not sure but there may also be a coflict but I don't think that's it. The conflict I'm thinking of is the laptop may have two different programs trying to access the network, they would be the Intel Proset and the OS. On my laptop I only let Intel determine and access the network.

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

downloading the drivers to another machine is somewhat quicker than wating for a cd.

7. fryguy8585

well guys in an interesting turn of events, my friend got back from his trip for the weekend and his laptop was stolen from his dorm room, so i guess we can put this whole thing on hold until he finds it, thanks guys

8. HazzMatt77

HazzMatt77

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope he finds it. It's times like that you wish you opted for the lojack option.

Good Luck

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice