1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cant get into Bios to change boot order (ThinkPad T450)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LostMyWalrus, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LostMyWalrus

LostMyWalrus Thread Starter

So, my friend has just received a laptop that isn't exactly functional at the moment. It only has Ubuntu on it, which is in guest mode, and there is no known password for elevated privileges (that we actually have). So I made her a bootable USB with Windows on it to install. The problem is that we can't seem to get into the BIOS, no matter how quick we are (tried everything). When taken to the GRUB bootloader, this is all we get:
    [​IMG]

Are there any commands I can use in Grub to get it to see the USB, or is there something I can accomplish in guest mode to change the delay so I can get into the BIOS? Or, is there a way I can help her get sudo access? I thought maybe it could have something to do with fast boot or something, but I have no idea. It's a little difficult because she's across the country, but I know more than she does when it comes to computers, so I'm trying to help.

The laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad T450. Please feel free to ask me for any other necessary information. I wasn't sure if this would be enough, but didn't know what else to include.
    Thank you in advance for your time! ^_^

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Lenovo ThinkPad T450 Laptop (support site)

You didn't say which Windows version and bit number you used to create that bootable USB thumb drive.

I know nothing about Ubuntu or GRUB, so someone else who does will need to address it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello LostMyWalrus,

The only way to access and change settings in the BIOS is by using the set keys, see here these computers can sometimes have up to four passwords on them so I hope they are all available if they have been set.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Going by phillpower2's post try pressing Enter key just after switch on (which may give a menu) then pressing F12 should give a boot device menu where the Usb stick can be selected.

5. LostMyWalrus

LostMyWalrus Thread Starter

Thank you phillpower2, that guide & f12 got us into the boot menu, which was sufficient for what we needed!~

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1203167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice