1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get into chat room due to invalid IP address

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by lisalou813, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisalou813

lisalou813 Thread Starter

I have an HP , model m8430f, Windows Vista, AOL

I am trying to get into a chat room on a forum and it keeps kicking me out, someone in the chat room says it shows me in for a second and then kicked out. They said it showed I had an invalid IP address? I have talked to Admin and they can't figure it out, they have not blocked my IP and say I should be able to get in. The only difference is that I am on dial up and I think everyone else is on high speed. Is there a reason it would show invalid IP address? I can post in the forum just fine but can't get into chat. I can get into other chat rooms on other forums.

Thank you!

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

It might be your DNS servers or the the DNS servers for your ISP.
    This happened to me once when I had BlueLight Dial Up.

3. lisalou813

Thank you, but please forgive my ignorance, I do not know what my DNS server is :)

Thanks!
    Lisa

4. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Well its basically two IP Addresses that your computer uses to resolve domain names into IP addresses and vice versa.

If you have a router change your dns server settings so the Primary DNS is 208.67.222.222 and your secondary DNS is 208.67.220.220

Let me know if this works.

5. lisalou813

Thank you for your help, I am going give your suggestions to a friends and see if it works, because I don't know anything about computers except the basics... I know how to defrag! woohoo!

I appreciate any and all suggestions and will report back if I get the problem fixed!

Lisa

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice