1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Get Into Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by leanne.s, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leanne.s

leanne.s Thread Starter

Hello! I am trying to get my computer into safe mode but when I press f8 and the option comes up, the arrow cursors don't work for me to move the selection up to "Safe Mode". I made sure my keyboard was plugged in (obviously pressing f8 worked). Is there anyway to start automatically in safe mode without having to select it? Also: is there any reason for this to be happening?

Thanks!

Leanne

2. mt2002

mt2002

If you can log into Windows (or access its files through another method, such as slaving the drive) you can edit the C:\boot.ini file to automatically boot in safe mode.

Just, at the end of the line with your operating system listed, add "/safe" and save boot.ini. Reboot and it should boot in safe mode automatically.

If you are unable to do this, there may be other methods that you can try if you describe the problem a little more :)

If you have a USB keyboard, that may be the cause of it. I seen instances when it will only work for ps2 keyboards

3. Claymore

Claymore

You can force a Safe Mode boot by going to Start => Run and typing in msconfig
    Under the BOOT.INI tab, check the box for /SAFEBOOT.
    You should, however, be aware that if the Safe Mode fails, you can wind up in an endless loop, and would have to use a recovery console method to edit the boot.ini file.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice