1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get into Safemode......

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kelsmit3093, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kelsmit3093

kelsmit3093 Thread Starter

I can't boot my comp. in SafeMode! I can get into windows just fine, its just safemode that i cant get into. Everytime I try to it gets to the point where it shows all the files loading, and then my computer restarts, EVERYTIME! This has been happening for a long time now, and now I really need to run the tcp patch again in Safemode. So if anyone could help or give me any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    I generated a startuplist log with hijackthis, just for extra info.
    http://www.filecloud.com/files/categ...ory_id=1003854

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Click start
    Click run
    Type msconfig and hit enter
    Click Diagnostic Startup
    Click apply and close
    In the dialogue box that appears click restart
    When windows restarts you will be in safe mode
    Minimize the window and run your programs
    When you are done, go back to normal startup.

If you don't have run on your start menu right click on start
    Click on the start menu tab and click on customize
    under the advanced tab in the start menu items list, click the check box for Run command and OK.

3. kelsmit3093

I can't boot my comp. in SafeMode! I can get into windows just fine, its just safemode that i cant get into. Everytime I try to it gets to the point where it shows all the files loading, and then my computer restarts, EVERYTIME! This has been happening for a long time now, and now I really need to run the tcp patch again in Safemode. So if anyone could help or give me any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    I generated a startuplist log with hijackthis, just for extra info.
    http://www.filecloud.com/files/categ...ory_id=1003854

4. kelsmit3093

HELP.....I just tried to boot in safemode by clicking "safeboot" option in msconfig under the boot.ini tab, and now i cant get into windows...because of my safemode problem(which is stated below) and ive tried every option it gives me,(WHEN PRESSING F8)AND NOW IM USING MY BOYFRIENDS TO WRITE THIS POST....HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
    Running XP sp2

(heres my PREVIOUS post that states my safemode problem):

I can't boot my comp. in SafeMode! Everytime I try to it gets to the point where it shows all the files loading, and then my computer restarts, EVERYTIME! This has been happening for a long time now, and now I really need to run the tcp patch again in Safemode. So if anyone could help or give me any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, (By the way I have seen your other threads about this- I'd advise you to stick with one thread. I will combine the two that have had replies into one thread, continue in the new merged thread only and do not start a new thread please.)

Are you trying to start up, with an XP CD in the tray?

You have some options...one is System Restore run from the command line after booting with an XP CD to load Recovery Console Restore back to before you had the problem, it has been a long time but there may be a Restore Point that far back- did you try Restore already?

You said you needed to install a patch, was this for a virus or something, like the Sasser infection?

Check the links for good help to use Recovery Console, Restore from command line etc:

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Recovering_Windows_XP.htm#restore

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/ <<lots of help

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm lot's of help here too

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

If your machine is set to boot from CD, and by default most running XP are already, with a good XP CD in, you should when you tap the F8 key, get a choice "Boot from CD" try that- load the Recovery Console and be careful, because at this point you could accidentally press the wrong key, and start a reinstall of XP, which you probably will not need to do!

When you see the text "Press R to load Recovery Console", so so.

Recovery Console is a command line tool, like the old win9x DOS prompt, but you can use the chkdsk /r command to run an error scan of files and it should help you get started up in normal mode....

There are some things it cannot fix, such as a hardware problem with the drive or system....so, in case there is data or files or pics or anything on your hard drive you cannot afford to lose, or just dont want to risk.....put your hard drive in another computer running XP, as a Slave drive that is done by setting a jumper on the back end of the hard drive...and/or it's position on the IDE cable that goes to the main hard drive already in the other computer....if you have someone with a little experience with installing hard drives and you want to try copying files to CD for instance, it would be a good idea to get them to help you.

You must NOT put your drive in another machine, as the BOOT drive, that will mess up both your drive and can mess up the host computer. Make sure it is put in the Slave position and to make sure, set the little plastic jumper on the drive to that setting, it can be slightly tricky to go by the little diagram on the drive label.

MS is the pins the jumper goes onto for Master (usually boot drive), that is usually how your drive would be set, but it could be not jumpered at all....and it's position on hard drive cable tells the motherboard what drive it is....that is called CS or Cable Select.

Or, you might run into trying to use a computer to host your drive, that already has two hard disks in it....in that case, you should find an empty IDE connector on a cable in the midsection of the IDE drive cable and connect it there, such as on a cable that runs to a CD or DVD drive. Those are usually set as Slave drives.

Let me know if you do have an XP CD of the same version you are running, Home / Pro.

ANY XP CD will work to load the Recovery Console. Preferably, get an XP Service Pack 2
    CD to use as you probably are using Service Pack 2 by now....

DO NOT try to do a repair install using any other CD except the one you installed from the last time. A Repair install may result in you losing documents or files you have on the hard drive. It also means you have to reinstall Service Packs and Windows Updates so take that into consideration. Move the files off the drive first if you need to. Make sure the files moved will work, that is, open and play if video or music, or open readable if documents....

There are several more command options to use with Recovery Console, so do not be discouraged if your first attempt with chkdsk /r does not work.

Here is a page about how the Console works, with pics...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial117.html

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice