1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get into Toshiba Satellite

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rubeckf, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    A while back someone brought me a computer to try and get into it. It's a Toshiba Satellite A505. She had been sick and not used it for about 6 mo. When she tried to get into it she had forgotten the Toshiba password to get into it (not the Windows Administrator password). She had tried numerous times with different things she had used before on things. Since you must take the computer completely apart and remove the motherboard to get to the battery, which is soldered on the bottom of the board, I couldn't remove and try that as I usually would do. I talked to a couple computer shops and they wanted around $150.00 to do all that. Where I am now with it is I have tried 2 other motherboards in it and neither of them has any video. It powers on and that's all I get.
    I would be very appreciative of any suggestions.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    we cannot help with by passing passwords on this forum - please re-read the rules you signed up to when joining

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html
    so NO assistance can be given here for the password issue -

laptops can be quite difficult to replace components without problems - where did you get the two motherboards from ? are they the exact model and revision

usually windows software OEM is locked to the motherboard - so you will need to also purchase another license for the software.

3. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    The motherboards I tried were bought on ebay and are the same as hers, which I had removed. I sent one back after a computer tech said it probably was the board. Got a replacement and it also does the same thing. I will try and resell the MB and get her money back, hopefully. She had only had this computer since Xmas 2010 and was devastated to lose it so soon. She has MS and was in the hospital for 3 months with surgery etc. Anyway, I had let it die and told her I couldn't do anymore and she emailed me again yesterday with more suggestions from "friends". I will call her and tell her what you said and that I am dropping the subject. Thanks for your answer. Have a great wk end.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice