1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get logged on to laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cannonball99, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cannonball99

cannonball99 Thread Starter

Having a problem with my daughter's laptop (and to make matters worse, she's away at school and I'm having to talk try to resolve it over the phone).

Her machine was not totally loading her OS (XP Home). It would freeze just after the black Windows screen with the bar with the scrolling colors. She took it to the computer lab at her school where they reloaded Windows, which added a 2nd user to her machine.

Now it will boot all the way through that screen, but is now asking for a log-in password. We had never placed a password on the machine so I had her log in with the password blank. But she gets the message "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively" and she cannot get into Windows.

Her campus is on a wireless network and I suspect that when Windows was re-installed, some type of network policy was installed. Of course, she's not trying to log onto the network, she's simply trying to get her stand alone machine to boot up.

I heard about a utility to change passwords (found at http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/) and I had her run that to try and change her password. But this just confirmed that her password was indeed blank and the machine still would not allow a blank password.

I did some research and found that by default, XP will not allow accounts with no password to be used for remote connections. So I had her run the change password utility again and assign a real password. Unfortunately, since I've had her be very diligent about loading Windows Updates this utility will not save her password change. So we still can't get on the machine....not even in safe mode.

So, does anyone have an idea of where to go now? Is there a utility that will allow network policy changes without being in windows? Or is there another password change utility that might work? Or is our only option going to be to run the system restore program and lose everything that has been loaded on the machine?

We are putting ourselves in your capable hands.

Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well its possible that the lab put a password on. You may want to ask them first. When accessing the computer in Safe Mode, can she get into any account - there should be an Administrator account that see might be able to get into.

3. cannonball99

cannonball99 Thread Starter

I don't think so. The lab guys were asking her what her password was and seemed perplexed when she told them that she didn't have one and had never used one before.

We did try the Administrator account in safe mode, but it still asked for the password and we couldn't get it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!