1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't get monitor at max resolution when connected to laptop and cloning screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pixelsurge, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pixelsurge

pixelsurge Thread Starter

I just got a HP ZR24w monitor and have connected it using VGA to my Lenovo ThinkPad T400, with graphics card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400. The drivers are up to date. I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit.

I want the external monitor to display the same thing as my laptop screen, not act as a second screen. This works fine, but won't display a resolution higher than 1280x800. If I make the monitor a second screen instead of a clone, the monitor will then display at the proper 1920x1200 resolution.

How can I get the monitor to display at 1920x1200 when cloning the laptop screen?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The display on the laptop has a native resolution of 1280x800. I don't think that you can clone it to a higher resolution external display without resorting to panning on the laptop's screen. Here is some information from Intel for chip sets that support panning.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-004665.htm

3. pixelsurge

But by Googling I see lots of people who are able to get their laptops and external monitors to display different resolutions. I just can't get any of their solutions to work for me unfortunately.

I don't care what the display looks like on the laptop. It can look completely distorted, etc., because I'm just going to close the lid anyway and just look at the monitor.

I don't want to use two screens because then every time I connect my laptop to the monitor I have to drag all my windows over to the second display, and vice versa when I disconnect (which I anticipate being often).

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

You can't close the lid and still be able to see the external monitor, at least I've never been able to do that :eek:

5. pixelsurge

Bernardo -- Yes you can. You set your laptop to not turn off/hibernate/sleep when you close the lid.

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

Wow! THANKS! I'll have to try that!!!!! That's always irritated me :D

7. pixelsurge

Well I'm glad I could help someone else on TechSupportGuy for once. :)

8. Bernardo

Bernardo

(y) and it IS appreciated. I use my laptop to watch my Slingbox, and it's irritating to see another bright light in the bedroom. I made the background black, but, it still annoys me :D :D I can hardly wait to try this (y)

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    It may be that the video controller chip in your particular model of laptop does not support cloning to a higher resolution external display. Did you find any web sites where people said they were able to do that specifically on a ThinkPad T400?

10. pixelsurge

I'm not sure what to search for to find that information. Suggestions?

11. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did any of your previous Google search results turn up results for anyone being able to clone to a higher resolution using your specific model of computer? Are you able to do what is shown in the instructions on the Intel web site link in my earlier post. If the answers are, "No," and, "No," then it may just be that your particular model computer does not support what you wish to do.

12. pixelsurge

What I mean is that I don't know what the proper terms are for what I'm trying to do, and therefore don't know that I'm getting the best results I could be. Should I search for "Thinkpad T400 clone higher resolution" or "Thinkpad T400 mirror higher resolution" or "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 clone higher resolution" or ... Get what I'm saying? I'm asking for suggestions for my search terms.

I can't follow it. Doesn't seem to be written for Vista, so I don't know where to find the dialog box they refer to.

13. Bernardo

Bernardo

Which dialog box?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice