1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can't get my PC to connect to my monitor.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mason.eischens, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mason.eischens

Mason.eischens Thread Starter

Component
    Details
    Processor
    Intel Core i7-860 Quad Core 2.80 Ghz
    Memory (RAM)
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    Motherboard
    HP OEM/MSI MS-7613 MicroATX
    Video Card
    PNY Nvidia Geforce GTX470 1280 MB
    Hard disk
    750 GB (500+250 GB) SATA
    Optical disk
    none
    Wireless adapter
    USB wireless-n nano

Hello I just purchased a computer from the internet and I cannot connect it to my monitor to my PC! I have them connected via VGA cable, but when I turn both the computer and the monitor on nothing happens except my monitor reads "press any buttons on the keyboard or mouse to wake up computer" bu when I do that nothing happens. The computer on the other hand just beeps loudly and the reset button next to the power button just flashes. What am I doing wrong? I've tried two different VGA cables so I'm fairly confident that's not the problem, also the monitor is pretty old, from like 2008 or 2010 I can't remember.

2. Sponsor

3. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

From this description, you may have been sold a pig in a poke. If it's beeping constantly at bootstrap, this suggests there's a hardware error occurring that's preventing it from booting successfully.

Can you describe the beeps? Are they continuous short beeps or continuous long beeps? Do they change pitch at all?

4. Xsage

Xsage Dave

beat me to it loch...

The other thing it could be is the integrated graphics are disabled by default. Meaning you would need a DVI cable from the graphics card to a monitor.

lochlomonder likes this.
  5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Something could have come loose in shipping, open up and make sure every thing is properly seated. You should be connecting your monitor to the VGA on the video card if it has one. Not the back of the motherboard. The video card may only have DVI ,hdmi connectors

lochlomonder likes this.
  6. Mason.eischens

When I get home from class I'll direct you to a YouTube video showing the computer and me trying to turn it on would that help?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  7. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

That'll certainly help us help you since, hopefully, we'll be able to discern the beep codes from there.

lynx made a good point regarding shipping, so it's always worthwhile checking that out too. It's not the first time I've had to strip apart a PC or printer because some rough handling has caused something to become loose inside.

8. Mason.eischens

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Okay so the video card was slightly out of place so I reseated that as well of the ram. There was a loose cord under the wifi thing but I don't know where it goes. Here's a video of me turning it on also their are pictures attached of the insides of the computer. The beeping stopped so I'm wondering if it might be my monitor that's too old or something. Anyways I appreciate your help

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

The video card only has DVI-I ,hdmi connectors. Does your monitor have any thing other than VGA? If not you need another monitor or a converter , you need a DVD-I to VGA adapter ,think a passive will work,
    The card needs a DVI-I port for the adapter to work.
    D=digital
    I=integrated (both digital and analog)
    VGA is an analog signal
    This might work https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DVI-Cable-Adapter-DVIVGAMF/dp/B000067SOH

10. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Good news on the beeping, since reseating the RAM and the graphics card probably resolved those. The flashing light looks like hard disk activity, so you can ignore that. I agree with lynx on their post before mine.

It looks like you're plugged into the integrated graphics for VGA. It should still come up; however, some models have to be tweaked in BIOS. If you only have a VGA connection on the monitor, you could try something like this to connect from VGA to HDMI on the card.

11. lynx1021

lynx1021

12. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

It's an old computer. Did it work before you bought it?

13. Mason.eischens

My monitor has a DVI port, it's just a different shape then the one on the graphics card, what could I do about that, also if I remove the graphics card all together will I be able to use a VGA?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator It's My Birthday!

A DVI port will not have a different shape, it's a standard. Can you post a picture of it?

But looking at your video card it has two DVI-I ports, DVI-I ports can be easily and cheaply converted to VGA using this type of adapter mentioned above. That's the adapter to get if you don't have DVI on your monitor. I would not recommend getting an HDMI to VGA adapter as it's the significantly worse way to accomplish this.

If you remove the video card it still won't work because you do not have a CPU with integrated graphics to work with the ports on the motherboard; plus you'd lose the performance that the GTX 470 offers for gaming.

15. Mason.eischens

16. lynx1021

lynx1021

The motherboard has Integrated graphics using Intel H57 chip set and a Intel Core i7-860 Quad Core 2.80 Ghz. I was trying to say he could temporarily remove the video card and hook the monitor to the onboard VGA to get video until he gets an adapter for the card.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185369