1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get Netgear Router to work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ntejevo, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ntejevo

ntejevo Thread Starter

I recently purchased a netgear WGR614 v6 however I can't get it to attach to the network. Using 192.168.1.1 I have used the wizard and the basic settings to try to connect but no joy. IP address is Dynamic, have contacted ISP to get both primary and secondary DNS but still get Page is unavailable. When I plug the modem back into computer I can access the internet fine.

I have tried powering down Modem, Router and Computer, then switch on Modem, after about a minute switch on router abd then finally boot up computer and still nothing.

Please Help!!!

2. Shaldares

Shaldares

Are you trying to connect wirelessly or through an ethernet to your router? Is your computer set on dhcp and is it set to obtain the DNS server automatically? Also, what kind of internet do you have and who is your ISP? If you do already have your settings on DHCP, if you go into the network connections while you're connected to the router, are you getting an IP address and does it start with 192.168.XX.XX? One more thing right now that you might try is to see if any of your firewalls or antivirus programs are getting in the way if you have them.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have DHCP enabled and can connect directly to the modem, try this procedure to get the router working.

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Also, what is the brand and model of your modem?

5. ntejevo

ntejevo Thread Starter

Thanks for replies so far. Am not trying wireless yet - need to get wired working 1st.
    ISP is Virgin (ntl).
    IPConfig All with router attached is:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-5007281744
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ntl

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ntl
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit
    Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D3-AE-A1-xx
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.x.x
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.253.xxx.xxx
    194.168.x.xxx
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 01 October 2007 00:37:02
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 02 October 2007 00:37:02

I think this contains all the info needed.

6. eduk8_me

eduk8_me

Check for anything blocking your connection. If you call you ISP they should run you through what to do and work out if your being blocked by anything. It may just be a faulty modem.

7. ntejevo

ntejevo Thread Starter

They can't help because when I plug the modem directly into the computer I can access the internet just fine.

Also they charge 25p per minute....

8. coulterp

coulterp

As TerryNet previously asked in the thread: what is the make/model of the router?
    It could be that you have a combined modem/router and that can contribute to connectivity problems if not configured correctly. Make/model details will clear that up.
    NTL is the provider. Are you on cable or ADSL?

9. ntejevo

ntejevo Thread Starter

I'm on Cable, Modem is provided by Virgin but does not have a make (Just says Virgin Media), model no is E08C007. From my IPconfig/all it says RealTek so it could be that. Can't say for sure

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A couple of days ago I provided a reset procedure, have you tried it? If not, what's the point of responding if you're not going to do what we ask?

11. ntejevo

ntejevo Thread Starter

To JohnWill

I did try the reset procedure to no avail and if you scroll up to #5 you will see my response showing what you wanted to see.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That E08C007 appears to be a modem only.

You have what appears to be a good IP configuration from the router (assuming the x's were just added by you to make it more difficult to read) so if you followed JohnWill's post #3 you should have internet access.

One other thing to try is to login to your router and (probably in the WAN or internet section) CLONE the MAC Address of the computer that can connect through the modem. After that look in the WAN status section to see if the router got a good IP configuration from the ISP.

If it seems to have a good IP configuration open a Command window and try these pings:
    ping 69.147.114.210
    ping www.yahoo.com

Replies or packets lost?

Then, just in case it contains any hints, reconnect the computer to the modem and show that ipconfig /all please.

13. ntejevo

ntejevo Thread Starter

Terrynet
    I could ping the yahoo address ok, got a mate to come round and have a look and I had ticked <automatically detect setting> in Lan settings of internet options, unticked this and internet loaded straight up. Thanks to all for help provided.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/630623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice