1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get new HDD to take XP PRO

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wc4, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wc4

wc4 Thread Starter

Installed new HDD, IDE, jumper set, cable position OK, yet when I put XP pro disk in CD drive the computer doesn't recognize it, I get DISK BOOT FAILURE. The disc is a valid disk with valid key, I also tried the original disk which was XP home, same result. The same CD drive works fine with other cd's. I question if the Motherboard is compatible with new 400GB HDD vs. old 80GB? The Motherboard is approx. 4yrs old. Is this my problem? I have done this before with no problems, but with different computers. BIOS settings have been tweaked back and forth without any positive results. On boot the computer shows the new HDD and capacity, but I can't get the computer to boot to disk or load disk.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Disk boot failure is a message I associate with a hard disk.

Be sure your BIOS boot order is set to CD before hard disk.

Be sure the XP CD is bootable by trying it in another computer.

The same CD drive works with other disks; but, will it BOOT from another disk. Be sure your CD drive will read a bootable disk by trying another bootable disk.

3. wc4

wc4 Thread Starter

The computer won't boot from the CD with either a bootable XP Pro disk in, or XP Home in, I put in MS Office Pro and the CD drive loads no problem, and loads all of the files w/o a problem. I have used this specific CD(xp pro), in three other computers w/o any problems. The BIOS was set to go to CD first, then HDD. That is when I get boot disk fail. I have tried the same thing w/ two different HDD same results. Thanks

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Based on your results, I have to assume your CD drive will not boot from a CD. I've seen it before where one would work fine in Windows and even in DOS mode but will not read properly for boot.

5. wc4

wc4 Thread Starter

Could I use an external USB CD burner to load the software? Thanks.

6. By_Rock

By_Rock

Did you try or install Win Xp any other computer with using this cd? Or did you try an internal cd/dvd drive?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice