Can't Get Online

oldjunk

First Name
Mike
I'm attempting to get my 2004 Sager D800P laptop online and am experiencing problems I've had before when using Windows XP, SP3. When typing in the network key I get an error warning that mentions the key needing to be in hexadecimal or ascil characters. The actual key that is posted on the back of my router is similar to the word "hoppingbunny". Refer to the last picture. How is this solved? DSCN6675.JPGDSCN6677.JPGDSCN6679.JPGDSCN6681.JPG

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
I assume that you are using a wireless adapter that supports nothing newer than WEP. If correct then the solution is to get an adapter that supports WPA.

First Name
Liz
Truthfully, you are probably better off not going online wirelessly with a computer that has had no security patches in more than 6 years. (one exception, there was a patch May 9, 2019)

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
I suspect your Router is set up to expect a WPA2 wireless password but the Network card only supports WEP and WPA.

What Wireless card is shown under Network Adapters in Device Manager ?

oldjunk

First Name
Mike
I suspect your Router is set up to expect a WPA2 wireless password but the Network card only supports WEP and WPA.

What Wireless card is shown under Network Adapters in Device Manager ?
Yes, based on the linked tutorial and second attached picture, you're probably correct. The values on the "Wireless Network Properties" page can't be changed. The network card doesn't support WPA2. Read the explanation at the bottom of the tutorial page. (Remember that I installed XP SP3.)

I'll need to purchase a new WiFi WPA2 network card. I've read that the newest card available is a WPA3 card. Should I buy a WPA3 card? If so, will there be difficulty setting-up its requirements on this early 2004 computer?

https://www.uc.edu/content/dam/uc/ucit/docs/nts/WPA2 INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

DSCN6683.JPG
DSCN6684.JPG

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
To be sure please post the wireless card details in Device Manager > Network adapters

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Does the adapter support WPA? If so, you can probably change the router to use WPA or maybe WPA/WPA2. While WPA2 is stronger encryption than WPA, I haven't heard any reports of WPA being actually cracked.

oldjunk

First Name
Mike
To be sure please post the wireless card details in Device Manager > Network adapters
There are two adapters shown in "Device Manager". The exterior card is a Cisco Systems 350 Series (AIR-PCM352) Wireless LAN Adapter (2.4 GHz DS 11 Mbps)

An interior installed adapter is shown to be a Texas Instruments PCI-1520 CardBus Cont.

Also, I've written down "1394 Net Adapter", but I did this late last night and don't know why I've written it down.

Last edited:

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
The AIR-PCM352 is capable of no more than 802.11b (11 Mbps maximum nominal bandwidth) and 128 bit WEP encryption.

oldjunk

First Name
Mike
There are two adapters shown in "Device Manager". The exterior card is a Cisco Systems 350 Series (AIR-PCM352) Wireless LAN Adapter (2.4 GHz DS 11 Mbps)

An interior installed adapter is shown to be a Texas Instruments PCI-1520 CardBus Cont.

Also, I've written down "1394 Net Adapter", but I did this late last night and don't know why I've written it down.
[/QU
The AIR-PCM352 is capable of no more than 802.11b (11 Mbps maximum nominal bandwidth) and 128 bit WEP encryption.
Can you suggest an appropriate network card? It should have a driver CD included.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Back in the day I had reasonably good luck with a couple of these Netgear WG511v2 cards. I think it was necessary to get a firmware update for WPA support. Even if you find this, or similar, adapter also getting a CD is less likely. Probably have to download the driver.

oldjunk

First Name
Mike
Back in the day I had reasonably good luck with a couple of these Netgear WG511v2 cards. I think it was necessary to get a firmware update for WPA support. Even if you find this, or similar, adapter also getting a CD is less likely. Probably have to download the driver.
I just bought these on eBay. Both have driver CDs. It'll be about a week 'til I get the first one. The second one comes from China - about 5 weeks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123882112185

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193157100538

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online