1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get out of PIO mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stuy59187, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stuy59187

stuy59187 Thread Starter

I have a liteon DVD player (new as of last year), in my system, and when I watch DVD's on it, it breaks, etc. So, we went to check to see what mode the IDE is in (DMA or PIO), and it is in PIO. So, I went and got DMAcheck from microsoft, tried that, that didn't work (DMA is enabled on the IDE port, if abvaliable.) So, then I went into the registry, and tried to do a force DMA on it, but, that didn't work. So, thinking, hey, I should try to uninstall the drive, take out the cable, start up, then restart, putting it back in, that didn't work.

The drive is DMA capable, I know that, in fact, it had been running DMA for quite a while, till November, at least.

I have not changed anything about my computer, other than putting in a new video card 2 days ago.

So, I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as what to do?

Thanks,
    Stu

System specs:
    Abit AT7 with onboard sound (using optical out)
    Athlon XP 2000+
    512mb Corsair PC 2400
    MSI Geforce 4 ti4200 128mb
    (2)Maxtor 40Gb hard drives on raid.
    Liteon 16x LTD163D DVD player
    Plextor 40/12/10 CDRW

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you didn't specify what O/S you have, so suggestions will be difficult. :rolleyes:

3. stuy59187

stuy59187 Thread Starter

sorry, I am using Windows XP professional edition

4. mtbird

mtbird

If XP is detecting data errors, it will default to PIO mode. Have you checked your event log for any such errors ?
    It could possibly be bad hardware or cabling. Try changing out the cable and see if the problem persists.
    Here is some info from MS...............

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/tech/storage/IDE-DMA.asp

Debe

5. stuy59187

stuy59187 Thread Starter

The event veiwer is filled with error's with atapi on them.

The message in them is :
    The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

I will try to get ahold of a new cable and do that, I am not sure I have any on hand with me right now however.

If that doesn't solve it, I will be back.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice