Can't get Outlook working

captharry

For months I've been annoyed by Microsoft Outlook constantly asking me to enter my password over and over again. I've looked at a number of fixes online but none of them worked. The only one I was reluctant to try was to delete and reinstall my email account. This I tried this morning and I wish I hadn't! When I tried to re enter my (hotmail) account I get the attached error message. I cannot see my emails or send or receive. I'm running Windows 10 64 bit, Office professional plus 2016. Help would be greatly apprciated. I can get webmail so I will get responses.

Attachments

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What server settings are you using?
Best to post screen shots of the different tabs.

captharry

Hello Dave. Thanks for the response. While sitting here I tried Microsoft support and they helped me by deleting and setting up a new profile. It all seems to work now so I'm happy to close this thread.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello Dave. Thanks for the response. While sitting here I tried Microsoft support and they helped me by deleting and setting up a new profile. It all seems to work now so I'm happy to close this thread.
Typically with that error, I would navigate to that folder and rename the .ost file to .bak, that way Outlook will have to rebuild the mailbox.

As to the original issue, do you have a Microsoft Subscription and is your email requiring 2 factor authentication?

captharry

Thanks. I'll know what to do next time. No I don't have a Microsoft Subscription and my emails don't require 2 factor authentication.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thanks. I'll know what to do next time. No I don't have a Microsoft Subscription and my emails don't require 2 factor authentication.
OK, if clearing out the credentials in Credential Manager did not work, then a new profile would be the next step (y) glad you are working again though.

captharry

Thanks John,

I created a new profile and got into all kinds of trouble getting Outlook to work again but, with Microsoft support's help, managed it. I've cleard the password cache and checked I've not asked for password prompt. Nevertheless Outlook and indeed Word, Excel etc all keep asking me for a password several times a day. It'#ss really annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts