1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't get password screen to come up for external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by notrobfordsghost, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. notrobfordsghost

notrobfordsghost Thread Starter

first off please bear with me if ive posted this in the wrong place i am not very computer savvy. i bought a external hard drive (toshiba canvio advance 1tb usb 3.0 hdtc910xk3aa) off amazon a month or so back that came with software you could down load to password protect it . i installed it loaded my files tested it over the coarse of a few days to make sure i had done everything right before deleting the files off my computer. well now when i plug it in to my computer it shows the drive but it will not bring up the password screen to unlock it so it just shows a blank drive. i tried deleting the toshiba program off my computer and reloading it but it made my computer crash and i had to run a recovery on it which thankfully seems to have restored the computer to where it was before, but i still cant figure out how to get the password prompt to come up. im at peace with the fact that the drive might have gotten corrupted when the computer crashed but i figured i should ask the internet before i reformatted the drive. any advice?

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    After spending some time looking for anything resembling a manual for that software with absolutely no luck, I'd suggest that you contact Toshiba USA support.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not understanding the above. Why would you delete files from your system? That leaves you with only one copy. If you only have one copy of important data files, you are asking to lose said files.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Is this the software you downloaded?
    http://www.canvio.jp/en/support/download/hdd/ot_ehdd/en.htm

If not, what was the software you downloaded?

page 23 of the manual
    Please download the manual under Storage security software.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice