1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get past logon screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Iceman70, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iceman70

Iceman70 Thread Starter

I may have made the biggest mistake in the world!!!!! I was having an IRQ conflict so I found on Microsoft's website how I should chage from ACPI to a standard PC. Well anyway when I rebooted like it told me too I lost use of the Mouse and now I don't know how to get past the logon screen on XP where you have to choose a user, without a mouse I can't seem to make it do anything. I would like to know if there is something I can do to get back into the system and if changing the computer to a standard PC was a big mistake.

Please help

Iceman

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you outline the steps you took to change to Standard PC?

What kind of mouse are you using (PS/2, USB, or serial) and do you have another type you could try?

3. Iceman70

Iceman70 Thread Starter

I went into device manager and clicked on the plus sign beside computer, then I clicked on the ACPI thingy and clicked update drivers and I said I would select it and thats where it gave me option to make a standard PC which i did.

The mouse and keyboard are PS/2, I am pretty sure they came with the compaq. I don't have any other types to try, but I can't get in the system to find out anyway cause I can't get past login screen

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Unfortunately, it's not that easy to switch to Standard PC. A completely new HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) needs to be installed, and the only way you can do that is by reinstalling XP.

You will need to do a repair installation.

When the message appears at the bottom to press F6 to install any third-party RAID drivers, press F5. It won't appear to do anything, but it will install the HAL for a Standard PC.

5. Iceman70

Iceman70 Thread Starter

but how do I get into the system I can't get past the login screen?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try a different mouse if you can. If not, you should still be able to navigate the Welcome screen with the Tab and arrow keys.

You may be lucky and the computer type has reverted to ACPI. You need to boot from the CD in order to do a repair installation of XP, but save that until you are sure you want to change the computer type.

For now, let's see if you can get into Windows at all.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!