1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't get past the boot black screen....

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by monteine, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monteine

monteine Thread Starter

I have a computer that was working fine yesterday but today it when I turn it on it won't get past the black screen that shows the memory etc. it's an old pc but it was working fine enough to play games and draw with until last night. have any clues? no boot disk, win98, dell optiplex XL 5120.

2. Corrosive

Corrosive

Is there any power going into the PC itself? If none of the LEDs are coming on or if the fans aren't spinning, it'll probably mean that there is a fault between the plug and the PSU (Power Supply Unit); the fuse will probably have blown, which might also explain the "suddenly" part. Check the fuse hasn't blown (or reset the circuit breaker, if you use that instead) and then replace the PSU.

However, if there are signs of life, theres something else wrong, and this time it'll be with the motherboard or something connected to it. Maybe try removing the non-vital components and try it again. If it works, replace them all one by one until the fault develops again, and you'll have found the culprit.

If that doesn't work, the motherboard or the CPU will have died. Buy a new CPU and motherboard or treat yourself to a new PC.

3. monteine

monteine Thread Starter

as unbelievable as it sounds, i think it was the monitor. I plugged the computer into another monitor and it came on just fine. does that make sense?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice