Can't get past the ctrl-alt-del

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nvpls

Hello all, please can you help?

My home pc will boot up, get to the ctrl-alt-del screen and then comes back with an error that the virtual memory is too low to start windows.

I am running windows 2000. I cannot get to the task manager and have tried in safe mode too, it will not get me to the desk top.
The most I can do is get to dos thru the BIOS but then don't know what to do from there.

Is there anyone that can help me with the frustrating problem? How do I get this pc up and running again?

thank you!!
nvpls.

nvpls

The specs are:

Intel Pentium III
Processor speed: 866 Mhz
Bus Freq: 133 Mhz
Cache Ram: 256kb
Memory 256mb

nvpls

Is there a specific command that I should type in to stop the
un-needed services? I think you are probably right, there are things that
appeared in my pc that I did not know where they came from or why they were
starting at start up. Unknown programs would run (seen in task manager)
and when I would try to kill them they would re-appear. The pc was also
very slow towards the end booting up.

If you can help me with the command to kill the un-needed services
that may solve the "virtual memory" problem and boot up windows.

nvpls

Charlie,

I'm sorry, I didn't fully understand what you wrote. Is there a certain directory I should go into (thru DOS) to delete the startup programs that may be listed in the table you referenced? If so what location/directory?

thanks

nvpls

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online