1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get past the starting windows screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Flick24, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flick24

Flick24 Thread Starter

Jan 12, 2012

I've got a:
    Presario CQ62 notebook pc with a AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual Core processor, and I can't get past the start up screen with the "starting windows" animation. It will show part of the animation then simply hang. I have a very bad battery but am keeping the computer plugged in. When I attempt a system recovery it says: "A disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart" I've tried this many times and I get the same message each time. Beyond that I have no idea what to try.

Any ideas????
  2. Elvandil

Aug 1, 2003
    Safe Mode?

A read error means possible hard drive failure. You should make sure your backups are recent and test the drive.

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
  3. rmills55

Jan 12, 2012
    Yes, or if you can go into a system fix thingy (cant remember the name) and when its done, dont shut down system, click more fixing problems thingy (forgot again) and then do a system restore might be a option?
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1035913