1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant get past welcome

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by running1, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. running1

running1 Thread Starter

cannot get past welcome to windows box, needs password, I never had one and this box just appeared outta nowhere. bought used, working fine for 2 years now this. wont let me go any further to try 7 fix. any help would be welcome. btw running win 98.

2. pvc9

pvc9

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

You can hit the Esc/Escape key to close that Window or click Cancel. Did you try that? :rolleyes:

3. running1

running1 Thread Starter

thanks, your a genius but, now I have no mouse,it did see when loading. its a laptop, you can use a mouse or your finger?

4. pvc9

pvc9

You're most welcome. Just FYI, thats a common way/method to skip the password prompt which always works with Win 95,98,ME but not with Win NT,2000,XP.

Regarding the mouse, what do you mean by there is no mouse? You dont see the cursor on the screen or ? :confused:

5. running1

running1 Thread Starter

thats correct, no cursor with or without mouse hooked up?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you reboot again? The mouse must be plugged in first......

Also check to see if the mouse will work in safemode.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No particular experience with laptops here, other than knowing that sometimes the internal mouse can cause conflicts with the external.

Here's what I would try though, and it's just general troubleshooting, not specific to your problem. Do a scanreg /restore. Also see if you get a mouse in Safe Mode. To try either you must first boot to the "Startup Menu" by pressing and holding the ctrl key immediately when restarting (or tap f8 repeatedly). When you get the numbered menu, choose the "command prompt".

At the c:> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore and use your arrow keys to select a started registry dated prior to the problem from one of the first 4. The 5th or last on the list cannot be used.

You will also see "safe mode" as an option on the startup menu, try that next if scanreg /restore doesn't work.

8. running1

running1 Thread Starter

thanks, will try later when I get back from work

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice