1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't get past Windows Advanced Options Menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dopefish23, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dopefish23

dopefish23 Thread Starter

I was surfing the web when a blue screen of death flashed up and my Dell Inspiron E1505 restarted, taking me to the usual Windows Advanced Options Menu -- except now I can't leave. If I don't touch anything, it hovers over 'boot normally' for 30 seconds before freezing. If I go up and hit enter on 'safe mode' it also just freezes and absolutely nothing happens. You see all the options still, but now you can't move up/down w/ the keyboard to re-select. I've tried the different variants: 'safe mode with networking,' 'boot from last good config' etc. Nothing works. I've run the "PSA+ Pre-boot System Assessment" two times (including the extended memory test) and it passes everything / no problems. Then it asks to re-boot, and again it hangs in the same menu without getting anywhere. I can't do a repair/recovery because this is a hand-me-down laptop from my brother, so I don't have any CDs. Please help!

2. Sponsor

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Will it boot to setup.
    Google the Dell E1505 and ascertain how to enter setup.
    Probably F2 or delete but Dell maybe another key as well.
    ON first post keep tapping that key.
    When in setup is ram shown and is HDD shown

4. dopefish23

Yeah, I can get into Bios setup. Memory & HDD are both correctly listed. When I run Dell's diagnostic "PSA+ Pre-Boot System Assessment" everything comes back as normal & OK.

5. Macboatmaster

THERE are a number of ways to go. One is to use an XP CD to access recovery console. Another way is to boot using UBCD and recover your personal files and data to an external drive and then reinstall windows.

Another is described below if that Dell Inspiron has a recovery partition. HOWEVER be aware that even if it works you will lose EVERYTHING except what was there when it was first sold. You will then of course have a mamoth task ahead updating XP.
    If you are interested in the UBCD route (Ultimate Boot CD) post back pls.

Using Dell PC Restore by Symantec

[​IMG] NOTICE: Using Dell PC Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any application programs or drivers installed after you received your computer. If possible, back up the data before using PC Restore. Use PC Restore only if System Restore (see Using Microsoft Windows XP System Restore) did not resolve your operating system problem. [​IMG] NOTE: Dell PC Restore by Symantec may not be available in certain countries nor on certain computers. Use Dell PC Restore by Symantec only as the last method to restore your operating system. PC Restore restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer. Any programs or files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos, music files, and so on. If possible, back up all data before using PC Restore.
    To use PC Restore:

1. Turn on the computer.
    During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

1. Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.
    If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the computer again.
    [​IMG] NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.
    1. On the next screen that appears, click Restore.
    2. On the next screen, click Confirm.
    The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.

1. When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.
    [​IMG] NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.
    1. When prompted, click Yes.
    The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the computer was turned on.

1. Click Next.
    The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.

1. After the computer restarts, click OK.

6. dopefish23

Thanks for the help so far.

Dell is sending over a replacement XP CD; should be here within a week supposedly. But I can't do repair/recovery/reinstall until that arrives.

Secondly, I removed the HD from the laptop and hooked it up to a friend's computer. We can't boot from it, but I was able to access some files in order to back them up. There are two partitions to the HD, and we could access the one WITHOUT WinXP... the other says "access denied" for most folders, including My Documents (which obviously contains the files I want the most). Any idea how to get access? Even logging in as Administrator didn't help. Is there some software I can download that 'force' access into those folders so I can successfully burn them to CDs/DVDs?

If I could get all these files backed up and Dell sends the original software, then I have no problem wiping everything and sort of starting over.

7. Macboatmaster

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/937674