Can't get past Windows XP startup screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

83pink

1st, computer will not boot up unless I unplug the power cord for about 5 min. Then, when I plug it back in, and turn on the computer, it says "choose which windows XP startup you want to use". When I let the time run out for the automatic start, it brings me to another screen. Sometimes the screen is just blank and other times it says "Sorry windows XP could not be booted up" because of some new software updates that was added recently. Then it shows options for all the ways to boot up my computer. And it recommends that I choose last working mode. So I go to that and it either freezes or brings me to my main microsoft office screen and at this point it has the loading bar going across. This either brings me to my main screen or this freezes. I've tried several times and have gotten to several different points but ultimately it freezes. Somehow, we need to get back to the original software. Please help me asap!
Much appreciation in advance.:confused:

Try booting up in safe mode keep Pressing f8 when machine starts. Then once up in safe mode try a system restore to before the problem started, that would be my first port of call. To do s system resote go start-programmes- accessoieries-system tools- system restore then choose a point to before the probelm occured.

83pink

npage2908 said:
Try booting up in safe mode keep Pressing f8 when machine starts. Then once up in safe mode try a system restore to before the problem started, that would be my first port of call. To do s system resote go start-programmes- accessoieries-system tools- system restore then choose a point to before the probelm occured.
We followed your directions (merci-beau coup!) and we got further than ever before! I did press F8 to get to the safe mode. I clicked on safe mode and tried system restore. It was successful and I went back to an old date and every thing was okay at that point. The computer restarted, everything started up just fine. But then I started up internet explorerer. It brought me to the home page. I was in the process of typing in an intenet address when it froze. So I turned it off. I'm still having problems with the power cord. I can't start it up unless I take the power cord out from the back of the computer and then plug it back in again after 5 to 10 minutes. I so thank you for your ideas do you have any more? Vous etes formidable, Je parle francais un peu. Thank you again. Looking forward to any help from anywhere. I'm typing from a friends computer right now.

Just a thought- but since you were able to get into Windows safe-mode- your operating
system is probably o.k.- the problem sounds like it might be 'physical'-
can you try a different power cord? is it attaching snugly? is the machine making
any 'funny' noises upon startup? Sometimes power supplys (the one inside you computer)
do go out.
you can also try;
Unplug that main power cord-!-FIRST- and open pc and make sure all the connections are secure-especially the flat,wide cables going from hard drive to motherboard.

Well Pink I'm British but I live in France.Could well be the power cable as BTP7 suggest. Borrow one and try that to see if that gets rid of the problem, could just be a loose connection.

83pink

I borrowed a power cable from a friend, used that and it I made it a bit further (to getting on the internet.... probably because it had been unplugged all day) but it froze again. I checked the inside connections and I didn't see anything loose. I also had a friend of mine who's computer savey look at it and he couldn't find anything wrong visually. So I'm still stuck at frozen. Just like winter....... Could a sudden imput surge have anything to do with a problem like this? I did have it off for about a month before this happened. I turned it on and it booted normally. The screen read that I needed to renew my virus protection so I did that. Everything was fine at that point. Then it said I needed to do some software updates (like windows updates). It was in the process of doing thoses updates when it froze. Any ideas? Brrrrr- Grrrrrrrr-

I will suggest you to boot up your PC using your windows Xp CD (make sure that on your CMOS is set to startup from the CDROM) then once you get to the blue screen, follow the instructions there, repair the installation. Usually windows detects that you have a windows version installed, so all you have to do is REPAIR that one, that would re-install your system files and get rid of the updates you did when it froze. Tell us how that goes. (y)

83pink

When the system froze and my computer was still on, I opened the CD drive and inserted my operating system CD and then turned off my computer. It will not turn on again right away so I wait 5 - 10 min. to turn it on again. I've tried to run chk dsk and it freezes before I have a chance. One time I could hear the CD spinning and there was a loud vibration noise and nothing booted at all. Another time, I got to the "press enter to boot from CD", so I pressed enter and it froze. When I don't boot from CD I can get all the way to my main screen but shortly after I log in it freezes. It seems like it won't let me change the way it is right now. The more I try to boot it, the sooner it freezes. So I rest it for an hour and then I have 1 chance to try something new.... Discombootled & Disgruntled..... fiercely wanting to solve this ....... any ideas appreciated greatly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online