1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get Physical Memory Usage down

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by davidpcurtin, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidpcurtin

davidpcurtin Thread Starter

Hi - first post here,

My laptop (specs below) has been using about 40-50% physical memory continually for a while now, causing the fans to work overtime (?) and the system response time to slow. This occurs even when CPU usage is 0-5%

I've read forums here and elsewhere on this and tried a number of things, but nothing I've done so far has had much effect:
    - used MSCONFIG to reduce the number of startup items to 5-6
    - Ran disk clean-up to free-up space (+ laptop runs defragmentation weekly)
    - Uninstalled unwanted programs using Control Panel -> Add/Remove...
    - checked Task Manager -> Resource Monitor -> Physical Memory...and there is not enough committed memory displayed to take up 2GB RAM
    - Ran http://www.uniblue.com/software/speedupmypc/, which helped on the margin with some things, but not with the physical memory
    - Ran "chkdsk /f", but little change afterwards
    - Full scans by fully updated versions of AdAware & Norton Antivirus show no malware

Possible reasons:
    - I'm still running about 65 processes (40 mine, 25 system), although most seem very very small on memory usage
    - Laptop tells me 290GB of my 320GB hardrive is full. I have a large music collection on there, but I don't understand this - here's what I have counted:
    - Music files: 130GB
    - Games: 17GB
    - Photos/Videos: 20GB
    - Other Programs: <5GB
    - Other My Docs: <5GB
    - So even accounting for other held back hard disk space, I don't see how this gets too far above 200GB
    - Physical memory runs at 40% even when not using My Files or Games - and shoots up when running things like Crysis or Football Manager (which run fine despite this)

The laptop heats up very quickly and fans get loud even though it's almost always on a table - although loud fans seem to be a "feature" my laptop anyway, common occurence for others. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm not entirely sure where to go from here.

Thank you in advance

Motherboard: Clevo/Sager 5793
    Processor: Intel Core Duo T9300 2.5GHz
    Hard Drive: 320GB
    RAM: 4GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 512MB

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

How old is the laptop?

3. davidpcurtin

August 2008.

But I haven't by any means been running it hard all the time over that period.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Programs like Crysis would cause the cpu to heat up and then get the fans going full tilt - thats normal. Also Vista is designed to use up most of your ram, by pre-loading stuff it thinks you will use, and then unloading them as you double click other programs.

5. davidpcurtin

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that Crysis and FM 2009 are pretty hard going on the CPU - but when these are not running, are you saying that Vista sets aside RAM that it thinks I may use? So it's using 40-50% all of the time in anticipation of what I might do? Is this kind of scale normal, seems high?

I'm a bit concerned about both the take-up of memory when nothing major is running, and the fact that I can't account for all of the hard-disk space that's gone. Do you know a good way of finding out a breakdown of the latter by something like name/folder/location/etc.?

Relieved that the antivirus software hasn't found any malware, but any suggestions about how I might be able to figure out what's going on would be really helpful.

Thanks again.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

7. davidpcurtin

Thanks Lunarlander, that's a great little program. Found stuff I'd forgotten I had on there.

It all added up to 246GB according to TreeSize. But Properties on my C: tells me I have 291GB used space. 45GB is a little much I would think for held back space. Ever come across this before?

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

System Restore also uses space, don't know if that is reported by treesize.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice