1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Get Response From New USB GPS Thingy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anchoret, Apr 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

One of these devices, intended to eventually run a software clock:

ESG-GPSGLNS-01

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WMQAAOSwAQVb8oiL/s-l1600.jpg

Bulk-packed, no instructions, no drivers, apparently plug & play, but...maybe not. I can't get either my desktop to recognize nor install it, and can't get any GPS software to work with it, either on my desktop or Android 7 tablet.

Is this just DOA or a I missing some essential part of the installation process?

Thanks for any help with this mystery!

===================================

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8140 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (861 GB Free);
    Motherboard: MSI, 970 GAMING (MS-7693)
    Antivirus: COMODO Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. CXensation

CXensation

Try open your device manager, locate the device, right click on it and select update driver searching on the internet.
    Windows will take any device ID and search for drivers online, and install it - if found.
    You may also try a free device driver update utility, which may give you some hints on type of device and driver needed.

3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  4. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

Yes, that's correct.

My understanding is that this is plugged in to the USB port and the respective GPS-based software (whichever of the dozens you choose) is installed to operate from it, whatever it's supposed to do/locate . This unit supposedly contains some additional circuitry, but I'm disinclined to bust it open to look for it at this stage.

I could be wrong about all that, of course.

Software supposedly exists to hack the computer's time via GPS's very accurate clock function. The stuff I'm doing requires ~0.4" clock accuracy, which GPS provides. I've built a pure hardware implementation for this [below] which works perfectly, but thought doing it with software and this USB thingy would be more convenient and less cluttered. I assumed it would be relatively simple business.

It still seems as though it should be, but this thing could simply be DOA, I dunno.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    If it's anything like my usglobalsat receiver I use it won't be plug and play even though it plugs into a USB port.
    I had to install a driver specific to it, but it came with the receiver on a 1/2 size cd.
    It converted the USB port into a virtual COM port so it can work with NMEA compliant mapping software.

Sounds like an interesting mod :)

edit: I only remember there being a driver for a Windows OS. But things change.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice