1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get rid of a dang virus!!!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by aphidevny, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aphidevny

aphidevny Thread Starter

A couple of weeks ago I found I had a virus on my computer through AVG, but one for one reason or another it told me I wasn't able to place it in the vault, let alone get rid of it. I decided to try out a few online anti-virus demos but to no avail. Then I spotted a thing called Spysweeper because of its apparent ability to remove spyware and trojans. I tried this but all of a sudden my system froze (windows me), and i may have panicked and used my system restore feature to knock it back a couple of days. I then realized i still had the bug and went out and borrowed a friend's norton 2003, but it said i didn't have any viruses (after I removed AVG from my system). Today i reinstalled AVG and there it was again as plain as the zit on the end of my chin. (Trojan horse Downloader.Dyfica.B)....(c:\_restore\temp\A0060562.cpy).............now another friend says to turn off my system restore and that will help eliminate the bug.....is this so?.......or what is my next step please? I've also noticed a lot of pop up boxes lately telling me that certain programs have caused an error in <unknown> and will now close and for me to restart my computer...rather annoying as well. And where the heck to I find out how to turn my system restore off??

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

1.) Get rid of AVG

2.) Get rid of Spysweeper

3.) Reinstall Norton 2003 and do a live update.

4.) Install spybot AND adaware and do an update on both

5.) Turn off system restore after you run each test above.

6.) Take some aspirin ;)

Do you have WinME?

3. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I believe you DO need to turn off your system restore, solve the problem and re-boot to start a new restore point process.
    If you DON'T, your Virus is still (possibley) in your old restore points.

Hope this makes sense.

4. bassetman

By this I mean turn it back on. :eek:

5. bassetman

Wet Chicken, you type faster and give better detail than I do! ;)

6. aphidevny

aphidevny Thread Starter

thanks folks, but i already have spybot and adaware.....i need to find where on my windows ME system i can find out how to turn off my system restore.......and since AVG was the only system able to detect the virus, i wouldn't mind saving it unless it may possibly be a culprit in all this. In that case I will certainly get rid of it.........but thanks for the quick responses,,,,i appreciate it......any more?? :)

7. bassetman

Can't help you with the ME restore process, I don't use ME. :(
    Overall I think NAV is a better program. :eek:

8. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you have Dyfica B :eek: This is a pesky little booger :D

Spybot cannot presently detect anything like this, so don’t even waste your time running it.

Go HERE and use Trojan Remover.

Run AD-AWARE from Lavasoft and you should find a registry key named DaFuCa. Delete it!

Before you reboot, turned off the system restore function!

After you’re back up, turn system restore back on, run Norton and AdAware again.

You should be squeaky clean :D

Bassetman I don't think I type faster, I just got here first that's all ;)

9. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

MyComputer (right click)>Performance>File System>Troubleshooting :D

10. aphidevny

aphidevny Thread Starter

Thank you very much WC and thanks to you as well Bassetman. I think I may have conquered the problem...will let you know in a day or two..........by the way,,,,i have a basset hound myself....named URL (Earl on official forms of course)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice