1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CAN'T GET RID OF "WINDOWS ME" POP UP PASSWORD WINDOW.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by housemouse, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. housemouse

housemouse Thread Starter

Can't get rid of windows ME pop up password window. I recently re-installed windows ME. When installing I was prompted to enter windows password. I did. I now found out that it can be easily by-passed simply by clicking cancel. I don't want it there anymore, but I can't find a way to get rid of it. I have gone to control panel>passwords. That is where the previous version had the option to enter a blank password to get rid of the pop up window. That is also where the windows HELP program told me to go, however the option is not there. I have also gone to control panel>network and changed it to windows login hoping that woud help. It didn't. ANY IDEA'S??? (It's not a big thing, just very annoying...) I'd appreciate any help. Thanks...

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi There!

What you will need to do is:

Search for Files named "*.PWL" and delete all of them.
    reboot the PC and windows will prompt for name and password-Leave the password field blank.
    reboot again and reset "Windows Login" as primary login in your Network Properties.

Reboot one more time and it should now load right to the desktop!

Good Luck!

ST

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice