1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant get shared network printer to print!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by denne, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. denne

denne Thread Starter

Hi

I have 2 pc's. One xp pro with epson printer connected via usb and the other wireless laptop connected over us robotics router.

File sharing is working perfectly and can access all the shared folders on both machines.

The printer is shared on the main pc and i can see it and connect to it from the laptop.

The problem is when i print from the laptop it spools it to the print que of the printer and says "printing.." but then just sits there. eventually on the laptop i get an error saying printer is not responding.

I have downloaded the latest epson drivers to the laptop and verified they are working by connecting the printer directly to it. no problems there.

im at a loss now what i can try to get this working.

oh yes should also mention. ive uninstalled all software firewalls on both machines to see if this made any difference, which it didnt.

please help!

2. DVOM

DVOM

On the PC hosting the printer, have you created a user account with the same user name and password as the laptop user?

Also you haven't said what operating system is on the laptop.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since the file sharing works, it isn't likely a user account problem.

But not all printers can be networked. Seen HP's etc that work fine locally but for whatever reason, just don't print when networked. The symptom is very similar to what you mentioned in the first post. Sometimes the print job can even look like it went through but never does.

Might check with the manufacturer

4. spudmister

spudmister

you might be better off getting a print server instead of trying to print thru another machine. Any local problems on that machine could easily affect printing from another machine.

5. denne

denne Thread Starter

thanks for the replys.

the laptop has windows media centre edition on it or what ever that is called

the printers an epson stylus d68 - hope thats not the cause will have a look on their site now.

user accounts have different names on the both machines so its not that.

also heres something ive noticed.

when i print google.co.uk from the pc directly connected to the printer it comes up in the que at about 46k
    where as if its printed from the laptop over the network the same page shows at 400k or so?? very odd. both using exacly same drivers now as well.

6. denne

denne Thread Starter

ok, seem to have solved this.

for anyone else with the same problem..

START>>Control Pannel>>Printers & Faxes
    right click and Printing Preferences.
    select Maintinence
    select Speed & Progress
    select Monitoring Preferences
    tick "allow monitoring of shared printers"
    rebooted

seems to work ok now. only problem really is it takes over a minute before actually starting to print. No idea why that is but seems to be working now :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/573225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice