1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't get Task Manager from Ctrl-Alt-Del

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Datababe, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Datababe

Datababe Thread Starter

Okay, this is one for the books. A freind noticed about a week ago that if he hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and selected the Task List button, he gets dropped right back into his desktop (it's basically acting just like the Cancel button). He can, however, get to Task Manager by right clicking on the taskbar and selecting it from there. WEIRD. Has anyone else here ever seen this phenomenon?? The Helpdesk was stumped, and this is certainly a new one on me.

Oh, Win2K, SP4, he's got an IBM Thinkpad T40, and it happens with both the laptops own keyboard and the keyboard hooked to the docking station at the desk, so it's not a keyboard issue. We can't bring up Task Manager with Ctrl Shift Esc, either, but typing taskmgr into Run fires it right up. We're going to hit the machine with Spysweeper tomorrow, but he is running Zone Alarm Pro and as it's a company machine he doesn't clickity-click and download things.

It's been suggested the GINA is pooched. I'm thinking of maybe copying msgina.dll from another machine...or is that a Bad Idea?

I always get these kinds of cases - I must be a weird magnet.

DB

2. Euclid34

Euclid34

3. Datababe

Datababe Thread Starter

Thanks much - we'll check that out!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!