Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't get to Bios

7K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just build a computer, a desktop, but when I boot it up I can't access my bios. It says "Reboot and select proper boot drive" pressing delete doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure if my keyboard is too slow to turn on as it takes 4 or so seconds after I hit the computers power button before it powers on and I can hit delete or f2. The keyboard is a Razor Blackwidow, the computer does respond to it and I don't have another one since I was on laptop before. I also don't have the tools to know if my motherboard is broken or if it's some other issue. Everything was new though it was my first time building a pc.

It's also not showing anything on my screen when I connect with VGA but does show messages when I use HDMI.

The computer was the budget build by Austin Evans.

Motherboard - MSI B250M PRO-VD
CPU - Intel Pentium G4560
Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX 1050
SSD -Kingston Digital 240gb SSDNow UV400 SATA 3 2.5" Solid State Drive SUV 400S37/120G
Memory - Kingston Technology HyperX FURY Black 8 GB 2133 MHz CL14 DIMM DDR4 Internal Memory (HX421C14FB2/8)
Power Supply - EVGA 430W

What should I do to get it up and running?

See less See more
#2 ·
Re this
I just build a computer, a desktop, but when I boot it up I can't access my bios. It says "Reboot and select proper boot drive
Just as in when please
Has this build got as far as installing an operating system and if so which or has it not yet reached that stage

Re this
It's also not showing anything on my screen when I connect with VGA but does show messages when I use HDMI.
I do not think that EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 has a VGA connection does it? I thought it had HDMI DVI and display port

So if you mean you are connecting VGA to I/O port on motherboard
1 x PS/2 keyborard/ mouse combo port
- 2 x USB 2.0 ports
- 1 x DVI-D port
- 1 x VGA port
- 1 x LAN (RJ45) port
- 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 ports
- 3 x audio jacks

to use the integrated graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 610
in the processor then with a card installed it is likely that those graphics will not display.

Entering firmware/BIOS setup at post is

Please refer the following methods to enter BIOS setup.

Press Delete key, when the Press DEL key to enter Setup Menu, F11 to enter Boot Menu message appears on the screen during the boot process.
from page 16 of your motherboard manual

Does F11 work to access one time boot menu
I suspect the first step if it does not is to try another keyboard preferably a PS2 connection - I appreciate you say you do not have another keyboard - borrow from someone - friend relative neighbour etc.

#3 ·
The above is correct. If you are going to build hardware, you need a ps2 keyboard. Newegg does not have much in regard to ps2 keyboards. You may have to take your parts to a shop and have them diagnose the problem for you. If you can borrow an old keyboard from someone, that would work as well.
You are plugging the keyboard directly into a rear usb port on the motherboard and not using a front port or hub, correct?

#4 ·
Hi, thanks for replying.

I have not yet installed the operating system which will be windows 10, I already have the code(though I can't use it). I haven't installed it since I can't get to the bios to tell it to boot the usb drive. All the fans spin. At this time in the build I can just turn it on and get the message to Reboot and select propper boot drive.

Are you telling me that I need to get a ps/2 connection keyboard to get into bios? Again, the new computer does respond to the current keyboard. When I hit any key it repeats the message of "Reboot and select proper boot drive" even when I hit hit delete, f2 and f11.

To state it clearly. I am plugging the VGA into the motherboard and no connection gets registered then. But when I use the HDMI on the graphics card I do get a signal. I am able to use my laptop with the VGA cable though.

#6 ·
If the system is just not responding to the keyboard initially, have you tried a restart via the reset switch? This should keep the keyboard pw and be able to access the bios or boot menu on the restart.
You should not need to enter the bios. Most boards have a quick boot menu. I never use msi boards so I do not know for sure however google says F11 key.
If that is not successful, try the following;
1 System OFF pull the pw connectors from ALL drives ie hard disk and optical
2 Now pw ON and you should have extra time while the bios/uefi searches for drives
3 Once you can enter the bios, turn OFF any quick boot or fast boot option. Save settings and restart
4 You should now be able to access the bios, quick boot menu, etc
5 Be sure system is OFF and reconnect pw to all drives

#8 ·
If the system is just not responding to the keyboard initially, have you tried a restart via the reset switch? This should keep the keyboard pw and be able to access the bios or boot menu on the restart.
Worked like a charm. That was a cool work around. Now I am at the stage of using the usb stick I loaded with windows 10 from microsoft.

4. Re the windows 10 install on the usb drive - where is that from please - a new downloaded version and then made into a usb flash pen install
You say you have the key so where is the install media from please.
I downloaded windows 10 from microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I bought the windows key from kinguin.

Also I was using the top two usb ports. The ones next to the ps/2 ports. Though currently only the keyboard is plugged in there. The mouse is plugged into the usb 2 port at the top of the case next to the usb 3 port though after I finish setup I will move it to the back as well.

#7 ·
1. Re this
To state it clearly. I am plugging the VGA into the motherboard and no connection gets registered then. But when I use the HDMI on the graphics card I do get a signal. I am able to use my laptop with the VGA cable though.
As I explained this is why
So if you mean you are connecting VGA to I/O port on motherboard
to use the integrated graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 610
in the processor.
to use the integrated graphics in the processor then with a card installed it is likely that those graphics will not display.

2. Re this
I am plugging in a usb to the back of the computer
There are 6 usb ports on the I/O plate - which one of the 6 do you refer to

3. Re my colleague commenting that google says F11
I can absolutely confirm that - as I posted
Press Delete key, when the Press DEL key to enter Setup Menu, F11 to enter Boot Menu message appears on the screen during the boot process.
from page 16 of your motherboard manual
4. Re the windows 10 install on the usb drive - where is that from please - a new downloaded version and then made into a usb flash pen install
You say you have the key so where is the install media from please.

5. See your motherboard manual page 18
Installing Windows® 7/ 8.1/ 10

1. Power on the computer.

2. Insert the Windows® 7/ 8.1/ 10 disc into your optical drive.

Note: Due to chipset limitation, during the Windows® 7 installation process, USB

optical drives and USB pen drives are not supported. You can use MSI Smart Tool

to install Windows® 7.

3. Press the Restart button on the computer case.

4. For windows® 8.1/ 10, skip this step. For Windows® 7, access the BIOS menu

Advanced > Windows OS Configuration > Windows 7 Installation and set the item

to enabled, save changes and restart.

Note: It is suggested to plug in your USB Keyboard/USB Mouse to the leftmost

USB port when installing Windows® 7.

5. Press F11 key during the computer POST (Power-On Self Test) to get into Boot

Menu.

6. Select your optical drive from the Boot Menu.

7. Press any key when screen shows Press any key to boot from CD or DVD...

message.

8. Follow the instructions on the screen to install Windows® 7/ 8.1/ 10.

#10 ·
Glad the reset worked for you. FWIW I always turn OFF or disable quick boot/fast boot in the bios. Many motherboards will not allow you to access the quick boot menu IF fast boot is enabled.
Modern systems boot so fast that quick boot or fast boot is not needed. My current system [intel 7600k with asrock fatality mb] boots in 5 seconds from the completion of POST. Using a M.2 drive which is extremely fast.

Good job (y)(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.