1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Get to Blogs (Birthday Request)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cmcnally, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Ok...I posted this once before with no luck. But my Tech Support Guy birthday greeting this morning has prompted me to try again. I would really appreciate suggestions for this issue.

For a few weeks now, I haven't been able to access any sites on the blogspot.com domain from work. Now I know that I technically shouldn't be reading blogs at work anyway, but I really enjoy it as a break or when I'm having a slow day, and this problem has severly limited my ability to enjoy my usual sites.

Being at work, I have limited control over my computer's settings, but this seems like a surmountable problem, because I can ping the domain without problems from a command prompt. I'm running Windows 2000 Professional with IE6.

I've already tried adding it to my list of trusted sites and clearing my cache as well as flushing my DNS. Incidently, the same problem occurs with the Guardian website (an English newspaper) found at www.guardian.co.uk. The pages seem to be loading but just continue for 2-3 minutes and then bring me to the page not found screen.

Of course it's possible that my access is just being blocked by an administrator, however the Guardian seems like an unlikely news source to restrict when CNN, NY Times, and all other mainstream media and blog sites are perfectly accessible.

Help!!!

2. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Ok, I've figured out that if I use a proxy, I can access the sites in question. The only problem is that proxies seem to keep me off of my web based email service. Also had some trouble posting here with the proxy enabled. Any way this provides some clues for a more convenient fix?

3. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Ok, found a different proxy server that seems a little quicker. And discovered how to get Tech Guy and Web Email working again. You just have to go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings>Advanced and then enter the http(s) addresses of the sites that arn't working in the box that says exceptions. i.e. for Tech Guy, I was unable to log in and post until I entered http://forums.techguy.org. Hope this helps others who might encounter this problem. Back to the blogosphere I go.

4. rpndt1

rpndt1

wow, you asked, analyzed, and solved your own problem. :p
    Good job.
    Make sure you don't get in trouble with your company. The ability to read a few blogs isn't work losing your job. Other than that, enjoy you're new freedom! ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice